men's shorts for under a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to the Cayman Islands in March. Normally when Diving I wear a pair of swim trunks that I bought on clearance at TJ Maxx, but since I am going to actually be around other people for a week of diving I thought I should have a second pair of shorts. When I showed a prospective pair to my daughter that I felt would be comfortable under my 3mm, she made a few disparaging comments and said I was no "Chad Thunde..." After throwing a coffe cup at her, I was well what are people wearing under their wetsuit these days?

I see a lot with dive skins, of which I have one, but don't want to wear it in the tropics, at least not with a wetsuit. Board shorts, which I know are popular right now are F@@@ing uncomfortable as heck with a wetsuit are out of the question ( I may bring a pair for knocking around on shore).

What do guys find comfortable under a wetsuit?

Regular swim trunks. If TJ Maxx is out, check Bealls, Ross, Marshalls, or Walmart. Pretty sure mine came from walmart. If I'm in a 3mm, I usually put a skin over the shorts just because it makes don/doff of a neoprene wetsuit easier. When I can get away with it, I use a lavacore instead of neoprene, or just dive the shorts+skin.

As far as I can tell there is no difference in skins other than the logo and maybe the colors. I only buy skins that are $60 and under. The dive shops do sell more expensive skins, but I couldn't discern any benefit other than relieving the discomfort of having too much money in your wallet.

What swimmers call "jammers"--lycra like the original Speedo, but roomier and lengthier. I think the Fourth Element brand that muzikbiz posted a link to above are in fact jammers, but there's no need for a specific brand. Any major sporting goods store sells jammers.

That said, if I know I'm going to be doing significant post-dive activities, like going out to lunch somewhere, and will have no opportunity to change into street clothes, I will wear board shorts under the wetsuit. I accept that it's a compromise in comfort between land and dive.

I wear nothing or public appropriate shorts. They bunch up and are somewhat uncomfortable but they keep me from scandalizing the innocent and allow me to strip freely. I'm too much of a prude to sit around with assorted strangers in my Speedo.

Speedo Jammers under the wetsuit.

On surface intervals after removing the wetsuit, I use a full length lavalava to "cover-up" when changing out of the wet jammers into more comfortable dry board shorts underneath.

Change back to the jammers underneath, remove the lavalava cover-up and d'on the wetsuit when time to go diving again. . .

(You can use a cheaper beach towel to perform the same utility as well)

How to tie a shorter lavalava style using a standard longer length Pareo/Sarong:

Last edited:
I prefer shorts that let my twig and berries air out - last thing I want on vacation is an itchy jock infested private area

@Lorenzoid @Kevrumbo ’s suggestions are good.

Look for competition or lap swim bottoms. They look like really fitted and longer boxer briefs. They fit well under wetsuits and don’t bunch up. They also offer support and conveniences of the traditional Speedo without sending your daughter into a gasp frenzy. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom