Mental Aspects of PSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boater Dan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In Gary's thread, he spoke about the mental aspects of PSD and how sometimes it just makes you want to cry.

Do any of the teams do any type of mental evaluation for the riggers of what PSD can expose you to? I have been involved in a lot over 27 years of fire service duty and you tend to get cold to it. But, how do you insure the new guys (or gals these days) can handle finding a body at 50' without panicking?

I had an experience back when I was in college where a girl I had dated went with the college scuba club to a drowning situation. She found the body in some weeds and came flying up out of the water screaming bloody murder. Fortunately, she was only in about 6' of water at the time and did not suffer DCS, but it easily could have occurred. Her response to me was she didn't think she would actually find him.

Any thoughts or recommendation?

Thanks,

Dan

to the search and recovery team I joined, and don't have a lot of history with the various members. Only a few are seasoned PSD divers with multiple recoveries completed. The rest are pretty much unknown quantities...

Since I haven't done a recovery op yet, I can't say what my own reaction would be tho. I think I'm mentally prepared to deal with the experience, but that's only a guess. Been around a couple of cadavers and handled that ok.

There hasn't been any discussions of this topic or psych evaluations in the six months I've been affiliated with the group. Might be something to throw out at the next meeting.

We debrief after every incident. It may be at the scene, at the office or over a beer but we ALWAYS DEBRIEF. If you want to keep your sanity you need to.

If needed we will call out our critical incident team who normally deal with shootings or inhouse problems.

But one thing you MUST always do is debrief.

I'll post some from both ends of the scale in the future. Some were funny and some I'm tearing up over right now. We are only human and if we/you didn't care you wouldn't be there doing it.

Just remember to talk it out.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
We debrief after every incident. It may be at the scene, at the office or over a beer but we ALWAYS DEBRIEF. If you want to keep your sanity you need to.

If needed we will call out our critical incident team who normally deal with shootings or inhouse problems.

But one thing you MUST always do is debrief.

I'll post some from both ends of the scale in the future. Some were funny and some I'm tearing up over right now. We are only human and if we/you didn't care you wouldn't be there doing it.

Just remember to talk it out.

Gary D.

I know that after some 200 body recoveries, I got really sick of it. We did have at least one diver quit the team after a recovery that bothered him more then usual.

Our team seemed to use humor as a valve to let off some of the creepy aspects of recovery work. On a few of occassions by-standers at the scene seemed to take offense with the team's humor. So, although it seemed to work for the team, in letting off some of the stress and strain of the work being done, we tried not to make comments, etc. that could be overheard by by-standers and/or family members. (Which at times is tough to do.)

I felt that the humor was a good thing for the team. I think that taking the incidents to seriously and keeping them pent up in your mind could very well lead to what we now call PSD. I agree with the debriefing concept as well to aid in keeping your mind healthy...but I do think you need to not avoid some humor. :dance:

6Gill:
I know that after some 200 body recoveries, I got really sick of it. We did have at least one diver quit the team after a recovery that bothered him more then usual.

Our team seemed to use humor as a valve to let off some of the creepy aspects of recovery work. On a few of occassions by-standers at the scene seemed to take offense with the team's humor. So, although it seemed to work for the team, in letting off some of the stress and strain of the work being done, we tried not to make comments, etc. that could be overheard by by-standers and/or family members. (Which at times is tough to do.)

I felt that the humor was a good thing for the team. I think that taking the incidents to seriously and keeping them pent up in your mind could very well lead to what we now call PSD. I agree with the debriefing concept as well to aid in keeping your mind healthy...but I do think you need to not avoid some humor. :dance:

Humor is about the most valuable tool out there. Use it and use it often.

Just be careful where you use it.

Gary D.

After about a bazillion years (well, it feels like it anyway) in police work (including 20+ years with a dive team) my only observation would be to make sure that your team members aren't using humor to mask their real feelings. PSD operations rarely have a happy ending and it does (ultimately) take it's toll. It may not be today or tomorrow but sooner or later it will happen. Without a doubt humor is important but make sure it's a coping tool and not a crutch...

Stay safe....

DiveDad:
After about a bazillion years (well, it feels like it anyway) in police work (including 20+ years with a dive team) my only observation would be to make sure that your team members aren't using humor to mask their real feelings. PSD operations rarely have a happy ending and it does (ultimately) take it's toll. It may not be today or tomorrow but sooner or later it will happen. Without a doubt humor is important but make sure it's a coping tool and not a crutch...

Stay safe....

Very well put DiveDad.

As many of these as I have done you'd think they would get easier.

I was in bed at 10:00 last night. Up at 10:30, Down at 10:45, Up at 12:00, down at 1:00, Up at 2:00, down at 2:30 and like that all night long until 7:30 when I just stayed up and went to work in the yard and repacked my gear.

This is not unusual for me at all. Every adult gets to me for a day or two and then I'm fine. I'm OK when my mind is occupied but with nothing going on I start thinking how we could of done better to increase their odds. After a while I realize we did what we could and I heal.

Kids are another story. Thank god our calls are mostly adults.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom