Menu suggestions for a 2 week stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The building and the name are all that remains of Cultimara. They still sell some stuff there - eclectic doesn't even come close to describing it, but there isn't any food. I think. It's pretty weird. Back in the day it was all there was, pretty much, and quite the adventure for a non Dutch speaker.

It might be called Top, it's a little past pasa bon, on the same side, going towards the church.

I don't know what/if they sell anything. I went past there a number of times in August and it was run down, closed up, and had people loitering about. Even before the new supermarkets opened, Cultimara was a dump.

Thanks for the tips. We'll try to put together a suggested shopping list based on what we find (and of course our tastes) and post it. Back in the day it was always the late great Cultimara with a limited selection, but the last several years we hit Warehouse and Van Den Tweel with much better choices and parking. The foods are different enough from the States that it's always hard to plan ahead.
I'm curious, what do you like to prepare at home in the States that you cannot find in Van den Tweel?

Sure, some of it is more expensive because it has traveled a long way, but I can't think of anything I miss from "home." For breakfasts, we eat eggs and fruit--as we do at home. But if one can't live without American bacon, it can be found there. For lunches, we pack sandwiches. VDT's deli counter has everything you could possibly want, and all kinds of bread and Dutch cheeses. Dinner? We generally avoid buying meat because it's expensive. We have, however, brought our own frozen Costco ribeyes on a few trips. The Royal Kip Tukkie parked outside VDT is good for rotisserie chicken one night. And one night is usually pasta night for us; VDT has whatever you could possibly need for pasta and a sauce. And then there's Indonesian stuff (thank the Dutch), like satays and rice dishes, if you want to get all international-y. So okay, I suppose having half an aisle full of Indonesian products is not common in US supermarkets--you got me! We'll also make lots of salad, though the nice looking imported greens can be pricey. I agree that back when Cultimara, with its none-too-fresh-looking food was the only major supermarket, stocking up for a week of decent meals was more challenging. But since VDT opened, shopping for a week of meals is as easy as can be. I should mention that when we are a smaller group--as in just my wife and me--we often go searching for fresh fish for one night's meal.

I agree completely with Lorenzoid. The supermarket experience in Bon is now a pleasure.The Dutch and Indonesian items add interesting variety and the cheese, bread and cold cut selections are outstanding. Everything is more expensive then on the mainland but that's part of being on an island.

Slightly off-topic: We usually do either a VRBO or a rental through one or another of the rental agencies on the island. For several recent visits, we have used a service which will buy groceries from our list, deliver them to the rental, and stow them away, all for a fee of something like $35 (as of mid-2022). We can go straight from the airport (well, maybe a stop for intoxicants, usually at Zhun Kong), and have basics for the arrival day and a day or two afterward stored in cabinets, refrigerator and freezer when we get to the house. I didn't have separate contact information for the folks who do this, but I'd heard the name Ryan--a moment on Google took me to Ryan Plunkett at www.bonairepersonalshopper.com. Our experiences have been good, especially given the convenience.

My first Bonaire trip my buddy sent me into Cultimara alone, cruel and unusual punishment. No Sunday hours, closed at noon on Saturday and 5 on weekdays. Then Warehouse opened, VDT and a few others and now shopping is a breeze, open every day and late hours. We have no problem finding food, the Hato market even stocks Breyers ice cream and Klondike bars! (If only I could find a cheesesteak on island....) Being from the metro-Philadelphia area we find food prices a bit better on island, crazy as that may seem. Same thing with restaurants -prices less than comparable restaurants at home. One thing I pack are spices in tiny tupperwares >salt and pepper, garlic salt, italian herbs, throw in some chicken and beef boullioun cubes. Take up little space and this way I don't have to buy full size. The one thing our on-island friends miss are all beef hot dogs. Rarely show up on Bonaire and when they do, gone almost instantly. We usually schlep in a couple boxes for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom