Mercury in shark fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If these levels really are so high and true, there should be documentaries made about this and put on TV. Anything that is a health scare, that will stop people from eating the stuff. Remember when Soya Sauce was discovered to increase cancer and the big scare that that caused?

Same thing here. Big news should be increasingly made of it. Will help stop finning.

Yes you are right. But you need a story, budget (producer and sponsor) and a TV station to broadcast.

In Germany a popluar actor is presenting environmental and related problems regularly (prime-time), ca. 2 times a year. He is always on location, sometimes it is dangerous for him. Sharks were the last topic, this was a very good and heart touching series.

I looked into this issue a few months ago and as best as I can find published:
Shark is listed as .988 (three times tuna!)

The American Heart Assoc and the United States Environmental Protection Agency both have statements warning of limiting or in certain cases avoiding intake of shark.

There are should be more published on this subject soon.

I gave up eating tuna years ago... not only because of the mercury levels but also dolphin concerns and the increasing rarity of some species.

@Sailingk8: interesting to see the data on mercury levels in sharks, but is that in muscle tissue or fin cartilage?

I gave up eating tuna years ago... not only because of the mercury levels but also dolphin concerns and the increasing rarity of some species.

@Sailingk8: interesting to see the data on mercury levels in sharks, but is that in muscle tissue or fin cartilage?

Doc, the data is still sketchy. I can't even tell you what type of shark they get that info from. I wrote to the person responsible for the data on the American Heart Assoc. website and even she couldn't give me more specifics.

As I mentioned apparently there is more data to be released on the subject soon but until these reports are made public that's the best I can report.
If anyone has more specific info let's hear it please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom