Mercury Inflatalbes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Who wants to spend $90 bucks each dive trip to have a captin and crew tell you when and where you are diving?
After some research and calculating my budget.
I wanted your ideas and two cents on the Mercury Inflatable 17'.4'' brand new made out of PVC. $ 4699.00 too much?
warranty for 5 years from the dealer that is local.
Is 50 HP enough to plain 3-4 divers with full wet gear for spearfishing in atlantic ocean?
I truly dont know much about engines, so is 2 stroke bette then 4 stroke. whats easier to maintain?

what other questions should i be asking.
one stupid question, does this inflatable need to be registered with the DMV?

thanks and happy Diving
Seaboyforever

seaboyforever:
Who wants to spend $90 bucks each dive trip to have a captin and crew tell you when and where you are diving?
After some research and calculating my budget.
I wanted your ideas and two cents on the Mercury Inflatable 17'.4'' brand new made out of PVC. $ 4699.00 too much?
warranty for 5 years from the dealer that is local.
Is 50 HP enough to plain 3-4 divers with full wet gear for spearfishing in atlantic ocean?
I truly dont know much about engines, so is 2 stroke bette then 4 stroke. whats easier to maintain?

what other questions should i be asking.
one stupid question, does this inflatable need to be registered with the DMV?

thanks and happy Diving
Seaboyforever

bare in mind that PVC boats wont last as long as one constructed of hypalon. The main reason is that PVC by its nature is not flexible (look at a pvc pipe for example) so a plastomer is added, eventually the properties of the plastomer break down (UV rays and saltwater are a GREAT way to destroy the plastomer btw) and the tubes will become brittle and are eventually throw away items... 5 year warranty is good, but dont expect it to last 10 years like a hypalon...

50HP will plane 3-4 divers just fine, 17' is not a bad size for diving, just make sure the boat has at LEAST a rigid floor (marine ply or aluminium). When buying PVC, its often better to opt for a rigid hull, especially at that length of boat for more stability (called RIB - Rigid Inflatable Boat) as opposed to a boat with an inflatable keel (rigids offer more control and stability than an all-inflatable, despite being heavier).

A 2-stroke motor offers more performance than a 4-stroke of comparable WEIGHT. but a 4-stroke offers more Torque. 2-strokes are easier to maintain than a 4stroke but will require re-building after so many hours (much like a go-kart motor or a small 2stroke motorcycle motor or a lawn mower). They are simpler to work on, easier to repair, no seperate oil resovoir is required (scuse the spelling). 4 strokes last longer, dont rev as hard, have more torque but a lower top speed, heavier and often harder to get planing... but with 50HP you'll be fine....

all in all, PVC boats arent as reliable, wont last as long, but are a HECK cheaper than a hypalon equivalent...

Actually the fuel efficiency of OptiMax Mercury two-strokes compares favorably with or exceeds that of similar power four strokes. They are also lighter, faster, last just as long, cheaper purchase, three star engines are equally environmentally friendly, are slightly noisier and DO NOT rev as high as four strokes. They also require special oil which is fairly expensive slightly negating their fuel efficiency advantage.

I would recommed that you not buy such a boat unless the hull is rigid--a RIB. Also determine if the hull tubes are replaceable. On a 17 foot boat I suspect 50 horsepower would not be enough but without knowing exactly what you are looking at cannot say. Going far offshore--you need a RIB--my opinion. My little 14 footer has been used with up to 50 horses, not an RIB, good inshore boat. N

I would like to use this boat for 3-4 divers, with doubles, deco, speargun, all wet gear. for 10-30 miles off the coast.
I want a boat with very little maintaince, inexpensive, something that i can roll up and store for our N.Y. Winter.

I am guessing to go with the 17', Two stroke 50HP with a tiller,
it only comes with a PVC, but with in 5 years, i'll probably grow out of this boat and can afford a larger boat by then. i havent ask the dealer if its a RIB or if the tubes are replaceable?
any thing else to look for, to ask the dealer?
how often do you do maintiance on the engines.
before you go out on the water and when you come home, what do you do to the engine?

thanks for your awesome advice and guidlines,
seaboyforever

"I would like to use this boat for 3-4 divers, with doubles, deco, speargun, all wet gear. for 10-30 miles off the coast.
I want a boat with very little maintaince, inexpensive, something that i can roll up and store for our N.Y. Winter."

This boat does not exist, four divers, thrity miles offshore, roll up in a closet---oooookkkkk then.

Engines used in saltwater need to be flushed with freshwater and rinsed. the boat will need to be washed and cleaned.

You know, an RIB on trailer can be deflated and stored in a smaller area than a glass boat,like a rental storage unit maybe. A 16 foot to 18 foot RIP with 90/120 horse engine could go offshore that far under good conditions. A roll up boat with a tiller, well, store in a closet rolled up, I don't think so. I think you better do more research and save up some more money. N

NemRod,

Thanks for your awesome advice and help.
What kind of boat are you recommending then, if that 17' with 50HP is too small for maybe a crew of 4 with full gear, heading out to maybe 30 miles off the coast in maybe okay condition?

again thanks for your time and advice.
seaboyforever

I go with Nemrod on this. I dive a 16' Zodiac/Bombard [pvc] but it has like a 10 or 20 year warranty. I would have to look it up to be sure. It has a 40 hp 2 stroke which is fine for almost all cases but I sure wish it was a 60 hp some times.

Mine is not a RIB and I would not take it very far off shore. I looked at a RIB but decided against it because of......weight of boat,mtr and trailer, I would have to get a bigger mtr because of the weight of a RIB, and because a non-RIB has more interior useable space.

As for rolling up an putting away for winter not a good idea. My boat is left on the trailer inflated year round IN A GARAGE. Sun is bad for a PVC boat and you must wash and treat it. I wash the boat, trailer and flush mtr after every use and treat it every other time I use it. It is 5 years old and the dealer says it looks as good as new.

I have had 5 divers in my boat but it was crowded and going over a Bar on a outgoing current it was all I could do to get it on plane with the 40 hp.

At $4995 for the hull that seems high. You should be able to get a Zodiac/Bombard for this price with a lot better warrenty. Here is a link to the place I bought mine 5 years ago.

http://www.inflatableboats.com/

Good Luck
Charles

I'll go along with what everyone else has said about inflatables. I have a 24' rib with Susuki 140 four stroke. I have a 50 gal below deck gas tank with an effective range of around 180 nautical miles. With four divers and gear, she will comfortably cruise at 25 knots. My boat is a pleasure with four divers and is a bit tight with 6.

I had a 22' SIB (soft bottom) Zodiac that was not good at all for long distances. In rough water she was a PITA. My rib has been out in 20' seas without hesitation.

If you are going 30 miles offshore, I would highly advise you have a boat with twin engines. If one breaks down on you, you will still be able to get home. Going that far out you might also want to invest in the Garmin GPS radar/chart plotter as well. This will set you back about $5K though.

I guess if money were no object the ultimate boat for me would be either a Hurricane (Zodiac Military division) 733 or 833 with a cabin. I would probably get it with foam collars and twin 140's along with as much fuel capacity as I could put on board. She would also be tricked out with the above radar/chart plotter, a backup GPS, and two radios. Of course I would expect it in DIR black as well. :D:D

seaboy, I am not really poking fun at you, just the boat you seem to want does not exist. Thirty miles offshore is a long way out. There are those who don't go that far out in much more substantial vessels than one that can be rolled in a closet. Don't misunderstand, I love inflatibles and RIB types but as they get into the 16 foot plus range they cost as much or more than a good glass boat or certainly no cheaper. They are also a very good choice for offshore.

I have had my 14 foot Novurania about 10 miles offshore--I think. There is no rule of thumb other than common sense.

OK, I am looking in my West Marine catalog, the Zodiac Pro Open eighteen footer with Merc 90 could carry you that far offshore safely with good conditions, price listed, 25,499 dollars. Looking at the Pro (not Pro-Open) it runs for a bare hull for the seventeen footer at 11,499 dollars. That would need a 90 horse engine also,with Yamaha 75 it runs 21,399 dollars, the twenty footer with 115 horse runs 28,699.
For comparison sake, an unsinkable, new, Boston Whaler Outrage 190 with 150 horse Mercury engine will run mid thirties with trailer depending on options, more or less. Good used glass boats are easier to find than inflatibles---more of them to choose from.

The Zodiac closest to my Novurania is the Grand Raid MK II GR. It is right at 14 feet and costs bare 7,899 dollars and can use up to a fifty horse engine. The Zodia Bombard series is also intersting at just 4999 for a bare hull for a 15.5 footer. None of these just listed in this paragraph are suitable in my opinion for thrity miles offshore, ten maybe. I also feel a wheel and/or console are needed, I have a wheel in mine.
In theory I could paddle thrity miles offshore in my kayak, I don't think I will however. Maybe I am a sissy but unless I knew a place really well (weather, tides, conditions etc), I would not go that far out in my Outrage 190 without another boat as company.
Just a possibility but you might look around for a used Boston Whaler Montauk. These at 17 feet are suitable dive boats for maybe four divers if you like a crowd and while I have seen them that far offshore under super ideal conditions it is pushing it I think. Montauks really hold their value, buy a good used one, relatively new, use it a few years and sell it for as much as you bought it for--could hapen if well cared for.

Just some thoughts. It is that thirty mile thing with four divers and two sets of doubles each that worries me--lol. Where are you going to put the electronics---sonar--radio--GPS and back up GPS. Where will the battery (dual) and fuel tanks for that distance of a trip go (1/3 to get there, 1/3 to return and 1/3 fuel for emergency). Howabout your anchor rode--most anchors use about four to one scope, 80 feet means 320 feet of line plus about five feet of anchor chain. O2 bottle for medical needs, first aid kit, life jackets? Maybe a shotgun too. Don't poke a hole in it with that spear gun!!!!! Consider getting Sea Tow insurance.

One other thing, roll up boats ride really rough and bouncy and wet, by any comparison to roll up boats my Outrage 190 crusing at 30 MPH (sixty gallons of fuel and approx 240 mile range) slices through the water like a dreadnaught battleship. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom