Mermet Springs/BTM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divecon2k4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Girlfriend and I are planning on doing some camping/diving over laborday. We were thinking about going down to Mermet for the longweekend just looking for some opinions on the site, since neither of us have been there. I see that they have camping on site, has anyone stayed there or maybe the state park near by we just have a tent so we don't need all the fancy stuff like running water. have herd that BTM isn't that far from Mermet and might head over there to do a dive also, I have allways wanted to do it. If anyone has a thoughts on either site it would be very helpfull. thanks in advance.

I have never camped at Mermet, personally. Members of a local dive club I belong to have. It is primitive camping at best, but at least they do have showers, hot water & flush toilets (not just port- a- Johns) like most of the quarries. The campsites aren't too far from the water's edge. Mermet's web site will have about anything you may want to know. Being from Chicago, you should at least be familiar with doing some cold water diving. Mermet has a series of thermoclines. The surface can be a balmy 85 degrees while below 50- 60ft it is about 40- 45 degrees year round. Be prepared to bring the appropriate exposure protection for the depths you'll be diving. Mermet, while it has many different attractions to check out, is a bit dark & usually a bit on the murky side (though it does have a few times when it can be clearer. It tends to be dark because it is quite deep (120ft) & has sheer walls the tend to cut off some of the natural light. All the attractions are quite well marked & the underwater sound system is an interesting plus also. I can remember doing the boogie on the 100ft platform before. Bonne Terra Mines is probably (just guessing) 2-3hrs from Mermet. I have never dove Bonne Terra Mines, but the local club has looked at it a few times &, just from what I have read on their web site, you must do a minimum of 2 guided dives there. It's been a while since I have checked their web site, but last year, their rates were about $65/ guided dive. It may have gone up from there.

Tstormdiver,
Thanks for the info it helps to know what to bring and what I can leave at home for the weekend. Your right BTM is still 65 a dive with a min of 2.dives so I think we are going to pass on this trip unless someone can tell me this is a dive not to miss.

Mermet is cool, but they've been having some vis issues this year with all the rain. I'm not sure how it has been lately. They are usually pretty honest on their website. Camping is pleasant, but a train run nearby, and it can be pretty loud at night. The owners and employees are very nice and accommodating. I'm not sure I would drive down from Chicago just for Mermet, but maybe once.

BTM is about 1.5 hours from me, and I am 2.5 hours from Mermet. If you head there you will have a 3-4 hour drive at least. I've been to their shop. The owner is not too nice and definitely not accommodating. I've never dove there, so I can't speak for the diving.

Tom

We just spent the weekend at Mermet. I don't know about the camping, as we stayed at a hotel in Metropolis (air conditioning!). As far as the quarry goes, it'll be worth your drive. You can see the 20 ft platform clearly from the surface, so the average vis is decent. Below that it murks up a bit, reducing to maybe 10-15 ft vis, but a little deeper (around 35 ft), it clears up nicely but it gets cold fast. I wore a 4/3mm full suit with a 5/3mm hooded vest, and I was OK at 50 ft, but no deeper. At 50 ft, the temp was 52. There's a lot to see, and to dive through the 727 is awesome. The staff are great, the facility is great, and it's just pure fun. Just go. You won't be disappointed!

I dove Mermet this past weekend and agree wirh the water conditions mm2002 gave. I've been to many quarries and feel Mermet is the best of the bunch. BTM is always 100' viz and 57 degrees from top to bottom. A little pricey but definitely a must dive.

thanks for the info. Were looking foward to geting to dive someplace new. yeah the drive is going to be the part I like the least but at I get 3 days of diveing and relaxing so oh well. All in all is sounds like a nice place. Again thanks for all the help everone.

Matt

tstormdiver beat me to it. I love mermet. Great diving, great people and the accomodations are A+. Never camped there, but they do have primitive camping on the back side. The viz can be somewhat murky at times - this year with the rain, but they do have a lot of students. If you have never been there, I recommend going. As tstormdiver mentioned, pennyroyal is about 80 miles further and is a great quarry as well. Maybe not as many attractions as mermet, but typically much better viz. 30+' is not unusual. To me, Pennyroyal and Haigh are kinda in the same catagory (being from chicago, I think you are familiar with Haigh).

I just posted a video on the video site under the Lakes catagory that shows some of the features at Mermet.

Snagel

I just got back from Mermet last weekend, It was nice. The viz is good, It has definitely been better but that is to be expected. The dive site itself is good, there is a lot of stuff to play on, bus,ambulance, fire engine, ohh yeah and a GIANT Boening 727! This is more fun if you like playing on obstructions under the water, While I like Haigh Quarry for the rock bass. Mermet is certainly good, Glenn will take care of you... and bring some hotdogs or squeeze cheese to feed the blue gill and giant catfish...caution it will turn into a "blue-out" (when the bluegill swarm...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom