Met Goliath, felt like David

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went on a boat dive in the Gulf this weekend. This is the first time I've done a boat dive over here, I usually head to the other coast of the keys for that, but without the available time, I thought I'd give it a go.

I took a charter out of Placida (booked through Fantasea in Port Charlotte). IT was a bit pricy at $65 (no rental equipment), but ended up being well worth it.

First we went to the Palm Beach Ferry. It's in about 50' of water, the vis was 40', water temp 82 on the bottom, and just enough current to notice (call it 1/4 knot). On the descent, I saw several dozen smallish barracuda, and a large school of a fish I haven't identified yet (large (1-2'), silver, and shaped like a fresh water angelfish). Dropped on the ferry and started checking it out. Saw several ornamentals (rock beauty, a pair of single spot butterflys, numerous blennys and a couple of gobys), but the highlight was inside the wreck.

I shone my light inside, and almost immediately saw the biggest fish I've ever seen in my life. A Goliath Grouper that I was told was a regular there and goes 450-550 pounds. All I know is I think I've seen smaller elephants :wacko: . Not only was this guy NOT afraid, he turned towards my light, and started heading toward me! I figured it was time to back off, so I explored the rest of the wreck. I came across this fellow several times during the dive. He seemed to consider me a threat to his territory, and kept his eyes on me (he swum to a 3'x3' hole in the side and watched as as I explored). Several times, he started out of the boat when I came a little close.

The second dive dive was on the rubble of the I-75 bridge that was dumped last May in about 40' of water. Dove it as a drift dive. It was really cool. The captain asked that we not do any swimthroughs, as we haven't had a good storm to settle it well yet. I definately agreed, especially after my buddy and I came across a very large loggerhead that had been crushed recently under the rubble (this guy went several hundred pounds, head, front fins, and about 1 1/2' of shell sticking out from under the rubble, it was really sad). Saw tons of black and gag grouper, several schools of cobia and some large amberjack. Vis here was only about 20', but that actually made it really cool, because as you kept going, massive columns and rebar and all sorts of cool things just kept materalizing.

I'm probably doing Alhambra next week, but definately going out with this guy again. Even though it was expensive, I had a great time. Definately worth it. I hope to do the m60 tanks next time.

On the descent, I saw several dozen smallish barracuda, and a large school of a fish I haven't identified yet (large (1-2'), silver, and shaped like a fresh water angelfish).
Sounds like spadefish. Did they have the black stipes also?

Sounds like you had a great time.. enjoy the next trip

bingo! Spadefish they were, thanks Jenny

Your welcome!
Glad to hear you had a good dive. Seemed pretty cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom