Metal Zipper Leaking at Docking End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acxc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a drysuit I'd put a new zipper in the beginning of last season- replacing a leaking plastic with a new metal. The last few dives I'd been getting very weak above my right leg where the zipper ends, and when I finally got around to leak testing it yesterday I found that the suit was pretty much airtight unless I twisted the zipper in one direction, at which point I could hear the air leaking out. It seems to be right where the zipper meets the dock, which I've never seen on a metal zipper. I can't seem to find anything visually wrong with it, other than maybe the rubber coating on the very end teeth being worn on the leaking side.

Anybody have any experience with something like this before I go and replace the zipper? The zipper probably has in the range of 200 dives on it over the last year, and I admittedly don't wax or care for it like I should.

The bridging fabric that goes across inside the docking end may have been pulled apart by stretching when donning and doffing. I had that problem last summer and needed a new zipper.

I had a zip fail that sounded quite similar to yours. Essentially, the zip material had come away from either side of the little triangular shaped seal at the bottom, depicted in the attached image.

I had a zip fail that sounded quite similar to yours. Essentially, the zip material had come away from either side of the little triangular shaped seal at the bottom, depicted in the attached image.

Yup Thats it. I wish my zipper was about 2 or three inches longer.

Thanks guys, I'll have to see how mine looks compared to your picture but that makes a lot of sense. I guess its at least good to know the zipper itself went bad before my DIY install job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom