Methods of measuring basic gas consumption for recreational divers (1) SAC Rate.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Methods of measuring basic gas consumption for recreational divers (1) SAC Rate.

Note: For this discussion I am assuming that we’re diving in the (average) ocean, and not in the eye of a hurricane or under the world’s tallest high pressure system, so when I say “the Surface” I’m assuming “sea level” on an average day, where 1 atmosphere is about 33 feet of sea water or 10 meters of sea water or 1 bar or 14.7 psi or 760mm Hg or 29.92” Hg – hopefully this will avoid the picking of some (but I’m sure not all) nits.

Gas (Air, or Nitrox or Trimix) consumption can be measured in several useful ways, depending on the type diving you do.

If you always dive the same size tank (an AL 80, for example) then there is no need to make any conversions beyond what you can read on your gas gauge – your Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG) – and then correct that for depth. The term we usually use for this type measurement of gas consumption is the Surface Air Consumption Rate, or SAC Rate, and it is expressed in how much pressure gets used per minute at the surface.
It’s called the “Surface” rate because, since gas consumption varies directly with pressure (depth), we need some place to start… and (hopefully) we all start on the surface J
Calculating it: The formula is…

Gas Consumed
Time X Pressure

Where Gas consumed is in psi or Bar, Time is in minutes, and Pressure is in Atmospheres

(1) You can make a direct calculation of SAC Rate if you like, by simply swimming around on the surface while breathing on SCUBA, and noting how much your pressure gauge drops per minute – swim around for 10 minutes and use 300 psi/20 bar, your SAC Rate is 30 psi/min or 2.0 bar/min.
(2) Or you can swim around at a particular depth and then apply a pressure correction. To keep the math easy it’s a good idea to pick a depth that’s a whole atmosphere, for example 33 feet/10 meters, which would be a total pressure of two atmospheres – one at the surface plus one more for the water depth. If you swam around at 33 FSW/10 MSW for 10 minutes and used 600 psi/40 bar, then you’d have used 60psi/4.0 bar per minute at 2 ATA. Now, since the pressure is double what it is at the surface, each lungful of gas has twice as many molecules as it would at the surface, and to correct our consumption rate to what it would be at the surface we therefore have to divide by 2 – and we come up with 30psi/min or 2.0 bar per minute again.
(3) A third way to calculate your SAC rate is to use some of the neat information you can get off your computer, if you have one. Most modern computers will tell you your dive time and your average depth, which you can then use along with the information from your SPG to calculate your SAC rate. Let’s say your computer tells you that your dive time was 32 minutes, and that your average depth was 50 feet/15M (that’s 2.5 ATA)*. Looking at your SPG, you see that you have 500 psi/35 bar left, and when you started the dive you had 3000 psi/200 bar, so you used 2500 psi/165 bar. Plugging the formula with those numbers we get:

2500psi or 165 Bar
32 min X 2.5 ATA

Which yields a SAC rate of 31 psi/min or 2.1 Bar/min

(4) Yet another way to calculate your SAC rate is to “let George do it.” Most modern Air Integrated computers have an automatic SAC rate calculation built right into them, and you can read it right off the computer

* Converting depth to pressure in ATA
(1) for feet of sea water: ATA=(depth/33)+1
(2) for meters of sea water: ATA=(depth/10)+1
(for math purists, my extra parentheses in the formulae are for clarity)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Note: For this discussion I am assuming that we’re diving in the (average) ocean, and not in the eye of a hurricane or under the world’s tallest high pressure system, so when I say “the Surface” I’m assuming “sea level” on an average day, where 1 atmosphere is about 33 feet of sea water or 10 meters of sea water or 1 bar or 14.7 psi or 760mm Hg or 29.92” Hg – hopefully this will avoid the picking of some (but I’m sure not all) nits.

Good thread, Rick. Thanks.

And oh yah, 1 bar is more like 14.5 PSI :wink:

Blackwood:
Good thread, Rick. Thanks.

And oh yah, 1 bar is more like 14.5 PSI :wink:
I almost put 1008 millibars :D
Rick

Rick Murchison:
I almost put 1008 millibars :D
Rick
I love threads where I’m not the only geek. :need geek diver emoticon:

I’ve become lazy having an air integrated computer now that reminds me when my air consumption is higher than usual, but do you have any rules of thumb you use for adjusting SAC for such things as pushing a camera around, cold water, currents, or some of the other fun things (like dragging sharks out of lobster traps)?

Yes my rule of thumb is that my sac rate is 1.0 cuft/min. It makes the math easy and usually keeps me out of trouble.

Rick another good thread...Thanks.

dumpsterDiver:
Yes my rule of thumb is that my sac rate is 1.0 cuft/min. It makes the math easy and usually keeps me out of trouble.
My predive rule of thumb is also 1.0 CFM for general dives, but I bump it up to 1.2 CFM if I’m going to be diving a current or with a camera, and 1.5 if I’m going to be combining multiple heavy air consuming activities. That has always been very conservative for me, and I haven’t run out of air for years. I wondered if anyone else adjusted their SAC.

I use metric and use the following formula

air used/average ATA/time

air used = WC of tank x bar used ( or if you always dive the same tank then you can just use Bar but I think this defeats the purpose of the exercise)

Average ATA = average depth/10 + 1
so 200 bar used from a 10L tank on a 20meter dive for 30 min=

2000/3 =666.6
666.6/30=22.22 Litres per minute

Bill51:
My predive rule of thumb is also 1.0 CFM for general dives, but I bump it up to 1.2 CFM if I’m going to be diving a current or with a camera, and 1.5 if I’m going to be combining multiple heavy air consuming activities. That has always been very conservative for me, and I haven’t run out of air for years. I wondered if anyone else adjusted their SAC.

According to other peoples SAC on SB I am a self confessed air hog at 18-20 LPM SAC (about .67CFM). So I will usally use 20 - 25 LPM for planning depending on conditions.

I have noticed the shorter the dive the higher the SAC and I think this has alot to do with 2 things
First is adjusting your BC for best bouyancy and second the tank cooling as it is submerged and the internal pressure drops.

Packhorse:
According to other peoples SAC on SB I am a self confessed air hog at 18-20 LPM SAC (about .67CFM)..

Hmm... Not that there is anything wrong with breathing, I wouldn't call you an air hog. I think 0.7ish CFM is pretty average.

Back
Top Bottom