Mexican Organized Crime Groups Are Now Stealing Octopuses BY THE TON!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"According to the local publication, each trailer carried 25 tons of octopus, an amount worth some $3 million." Are you kidding me? Octopus is $60 per pound? I need to go in the octopus business!

Something is fishy here, and I don't think it is the mollusk. I'm trying to imagine how many Caribbean octopi would be in 25 tons and where and how they would catch them. I've been with Mexican fishermen when they found and caught one but never two on the same dive.

Are they being farmed?

Wow I didn't realize they were so valuable. Any time there's money to be made, someone is going to break the law to get it. It's too bad large quantities of animals have to die to make that money.

"According to the local publication, each trailer carried 25 tons of octopus, an amount worth some $3 million." Are you kidding me? Octopus is $60 per pound? I need to go in the octopus business!

It's very possible something was lost in translation, especially because (I think) the "$" symbol is used for "pesos" in Mexico.

3 million pesos for 25 tons of octopus would work out to between 3 and 4 bucks a pound, which would make more sense...

Back
Top Bottom