mid range liveaboard Raja - November 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bracko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know I'm late, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on a ~10 day (ideally +) liveaboard for Raja that won't break the bank.

I'm either looking for better budget or mid range options with a good reputation.

there is a reasonably recent thread on the pearl of Papua which people rubbish the boat and claim there are "much better options" yet don't bother to actually write them down(!!)

cheers,

I'm booked on the Pearl in November.( But first I'm doing a crossing trip from Ambon to Raja on the Black Manta so that will raise the bar some.) Not alot of reviews on the Pearl out there so I'm a bit nervous. My strategy is if there is a problem to talk with the cruise director immediately to try and address my concerns. Other cruise directors have given high marks to the director of the Pearl. I will do a trip report after I return.

Pearl of Paupa is considered a 'low budget' boat for RA and at around $3200 for a 11/10 trip, it probably is the cheapest available. MV Ambai is even cheaper but as far as I know, their RA trips this year are full. MV Shakti sometimes does RA trips and so check them out.

If you can reach the $4000 bracket, MSV Seahorse and even Mermaid I could be options.

I have 3 clients who were just on the Pearl of Papua and had a great trip. There was a minor mechanical incident that was resolved without issue and all in all they reported a great trip. I have had very fast replies from their booking and management team who responded to client questions on a weekend. Although the charters may be considered in the budget range, they got praise for the captain, crew, and DMs, food quality, and other amenities. For these folks, we did 3 in a cabin and that offered them an even better rate. Plus one of the divers teaches in Indonesia and was given an additional "local" discount. I have nothing but good to say about the Pearl. Remember, even on the best of ships, things break when you least expect.

I have a couple of charters that offer deep last minute discounts, the Euphoria and Dewi Nusantara for example.

brako, I don't know exactly what you consider mid-range.

I've got two charters in Nov 2015 with space available, one 12 day and one 14 day trip - prices are not budget/backpacker but are mid-range. I think better price than you'll find from the mid-range "good" liveaboards.. and with fewer guests, extra guides (I hire my own dive team) and more services. Contact me privately about a special AUS dollar rate. Each trip is limited load and we get in an extra day of diving more than a normal LOB trip. One of these might fit your budget. Dates are Oct 31-Nov 14 (14 diving days / 14 nts on board) and Nov 17-29 (12 diving days/ 12 nts on board). Been doing this in Raja Ampat since 1999.

That's a good point, sorry RE prices.

The absolute hard limit is $500 per day. Ideally $400 a day would be a nice middle level for a good boat and lots of diving, but it looks like there are a lot of options already out. MV seahorse I've only seen for $4800USD for 10 days, which is pushing the limit.

does anyone know how much MV Shakti is? they are booked out at that time, but it looks like the sweet spot I'm after.

Hi Bracko

It may not have been on your radar as they are considered in the "luxury" bracket but Indo Siren prices are in Euro. Right now the euro is low against the dollar so the 3850euro is only about $4350 - not bad in comparison to some of the mid range prices you quoted above and well within your daily budget. But maybe others are aware of this as the boat seems to be fully booked.

If you're interested in finding out if there is a space I'd happily ask the owners on your behalf.
Hope you find something - RA is superb diving
Susie

bracko, Given your budget I see that one of my trips would work if the dates are OK for you. Oct 31-Nov 14 (14 diving days / 14 nts on board) and Nov 17-29 (12 diving days/ 12 nts on board). Contact me, cityseahorsetours@gmail.com

Bracko, also check out the new Aggressor liveaboard to Raja Ampat. They have just started doing those trip after a hiatus of many years and are offering ridiculous discounts for the first few trips in August. OK, November may not be such a good value but still worth asking. Aggressor are good and speaking on the phone and so it is worthwhile calling them to discuss. They are bound to gave some vacancies in November and you might be able to negotiate an acceptable offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom