Middle Ear popping/clicking AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamespitt

Reaction score
:doctor:
i have an ear problem which wont go away. i spent the better part of 4 months diving every day in Indo (poor me) and developed a couple ear infections. nothing that communal ear drops didnt fix. but just before i left i developed this condition where my ears continally click/pop when i swallow or flex throat - i dont even have to perform the valsalva. i thought it would go away once i wasnt diving so regularly and my ears could dry out. but it hasnt (6 months later) and they still click/pop. my GP (who dives) checked my ears and said they were clean externally but i had middle ear build up, caused by too much diving (NNNOOOOO never!), and the middle ear didnt have enough time to clear. she gave me Celestamine which from what i gather is some kind of steriod - http://www.edoc.co.za/medilink/products/478.html .
they worked slightly but not completely and the condition still persists. i think my earing is also being affected, my girlfriend thinks so, but is there a cure that can ease the click/popping but keep the girlfriend out?? just kidding.
anyone have the same condition and offer any advise. i am still able to dive and equalise with no worries at all.
thanks,
jim

Clicking or popping requires some detective work. One simple test that helps a doc a lot when sorting this out is called a Tympanogram or tympanometry study.

This measures the compliance of the eardrum and middle ear cavity, and will help sort out whether there is residual fluid, pressure imbalance from incomplete equalization, etc.

If (as is very common) there is some residual fluid or impaired equalization (medical term-Eustachian Tube Dysfunction),
you may be able to get relief with cortisone nasal sprays.

Many people with marginal or poor eustachian tube function are able to equalize very easily with these.
This is not the same as Over-the-counter decongestant sprays, which can wear off in the middle of a dive and require some caution.

Talk with your doc again and keep pursuing a solution.
As a Family doc myself, it may take a visit or two (or three) to solve a problem or it may take testing or consultation.

From your description, something is clearly different in your ear function from normal and it has gone on for a while. It's time to get a precise diagnosis and a good plan of treatment.

Hearing is important! If nothing else, it keeps you out of trouble with your wife or girlfriend.

Get it checked and solved.
'Dive safe,
John

Seems you need to clear the junk in the middle ear. I don't know what else can be done but to check for infection and adjust or maintain treatment based on the follow up exam.

Your E tube is probably flexing a bit when you swallow which is drawing a partial vacuum and raising some small bubbles which are subsequently popping. (Think of a knee popping) Of course, this is amplified because of the location.

thanks guys, i am going to get it looked at soon. i thought it would be good to point the doctor in the right direction.
crack, fizzzz, pop............
signing out
james

Back
Top Bottom