Middle TN SB'ers Get Together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
How deep is Martha's Quarry?

I've only been to Martha's once, so I'm far from the expert. From what I saw, the house's roof start around 10' and the ground floor is around 30'-35' (I may be off a little bit here). There's also a "trench" that get's a bit deeper, but I think you'll need a shovel to go deeper than 50'.

Mike

I've heard that there are other quarries in the general area with more significant depth, but haven't ventured out to them yet. Martha's big advantage is its proximity. It's in Lebanon, TN.

Mike

Tanked Monkey:
Fred opened Martha's a week or so ago. I'm new to Nashville, and dove Martha's on opening day, April 1. The average water temp was 50 deg, and hit 47 at the coldest. Brisk! Visibility was pretty decent, for a quarry (~25').

We'll be there this coming Saturday, April 15, if you want to join us. We roughly plan to practice bouyancy while task loaded (s-drills, shoot a bag, etc) on the first dive, if you're interested seeing/practicing that kind of thing. Basically, we'll probably stay put on that dive to get our diving legs back after the winter, working on whatever skills you want. On the second dive, we'll probably do some exploring of the attractions, like the u/w houses. It'll be a loose group of DIR & non-DIR divers, so everyone's welcome.

We'll probably get there around 10am or so. You can look for me. I'm a small guy (5' 9"), drive a black Audi, and have a TLS 350 with red overlay. Some say I bear an uncanny resemblance to my avatar, but I beg to differ :monkeydan

Best,
Mike

I live in Knoxville, and will be spending the weekend in Nashville, and was hoping to get to the quarry for a dive or two Sunday afternoon. I was thinking they probably wont be open being Easter, but I wasnt sure. I bought new gear over the winter, am I am dying to get it wet. Let me know how the diving is there, I will be down there again the last weekend of April for my Nitrox class!

I might try to see if I can squeeze it in Saturday, just a question of other obligations. DO you know if they rent suits there? I am just learning the wonders of freshwater diving, and have not experianced non-tropical water more than a handful of times. How much protection will I need for 50 degrees or so I would expect?

last year they were open on sundays starting at noon I think. I wish he would open on fridays for atleast 1 week out of the month!

At a minimum, if I were diving wet, I would wear a good 7mm suit and 5mm gloves, booties, and full hood or hooded vest. Maybe even add a 3mm shorty underneath the 7mm as well.

If you're not a quarrior, some say this early part of the dive season can be a bit too cold. I don't mind the cold now that I'm in a drysuit, and like the decent visibility of this time of the year. My LDS and local scuba club aren't even getting wet locally until the end of May! Not to sound too pessimistic, tho :evil:

Mike

Back
Top Bottom