Miflex hose curl?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've recently bought a new Abyss MR42 and my LDS set it up with a miflex hose which I wanted. I haven't been underwater with it yet, but when I set it up and place the first stage roughly where it'll be behind my neck, with the reg in my mouth, I'm noticing a tendency for the hose to have a curl "up" coming off the first stage. It almost seems like if it was installed a half-turn clockwise, it would get rid of the problem. Hard to explain, so i'll post a picture. And yes, I've tried swivelling the reg around, all different ways, it just always naturally starts to curl up.

I guess my question is: is this just a result of it being brand new, or is ita poor installation job by the service tech? Seems like if it's like this out of water, that it will be like this in the water. To the tech out there who set up their own hoses etc. - is this something that gets considered when setting up a new reg?

thanks in advance! Hose problem.jpg

That's kinda what happens with Miflex hoses. They have memory. It's why I don't like them in longer hoses. You can sometimes get it to do what you want, but it takes time.

Try letting the hose go straight out and the being it towards your mouth.

That's kinda what happens with Miflex hoses. They have memory. It's why I don't like them in longer hoses. You can sometimes get it to do what you want, but it takes time.

Try letting the hose go straight out and the being it towards your mouth.

Yeah, I'm trying that but it's still curling. It seems like if that's it's natural curl, that if I had the tech rotate it slightly coming out of the 1st stage, then it wouldn't be fighting it and would actually be fine, even with that "memory".
I guess i'm wondering if that would do it - I don't know too much about how the hoses are attached - the crimping etc.

@muzikbiz22 no it's not.
good idea to check that though - makes sense that that could fix the problem. just curious about how it's attached, if rotating it on the 1st stage would help follow the hose's natural curl. I tried a reg a few weeks ago on miflex hoses and they were super floppy, mine's pretty rigid. But that could be an effect of it being literally brand new without any dives on it perhaps

Try adding a 70 degree angled connector (not a 360 swivel) at the regulator. You'll get slammed by the "extra failure point" guys, but it works perfectly to allow the Miflex to go where it wants. Plus you might become a convert re: 2nd stage mouth comfort with head turning.

I've never seen a Miflex hose do that.....make sure it's not a counterfeit........Does the 2nd stage swivel around the hose like most ?????.....Miflex should not have 'memory'.......

I've never seen a Miflex hose do that.....make sure it's not a counterfeit........Does the 2nd stage swivel around the hose like most ?????.....Miflex should not have 'memory'.......

I own ten of them. Ranging from 12" to 7'. Yes, they do have memory. No they are not counterfeit.

As anyone who has ever screwed ....... (a nut and bolt) knows.... the tech has no option as to how he threads the hose into the first stage.... The hose will be supported in the water, the weird bend will only be visible in photographs and it will be comfortable. You can rotate the second stage a little and try to reduce the weird bend a little maybe.

Last edited:
As anyone who has ever screwed ....... (a nut and bolt) knows.... the tech has no option as to how he threads the hose into the first stage.... The hose will be supported in the water, the weird bend will only be visible in photographs and it will be comfortable. You can rotate the second stage a little and try to reduce the weird bend a little maybe.

Thanks for the responses. @dumpsterdiver this is what I was trying to get at - I wasn't sure if there was options there or not (having never actually connected a first stage hose by myself) I just wasn't sure if there was 2 points of rotation at that connection.

and @J2s they're not counterfeit, I watched him open the packaging. And yes, the 2nd stage swivels, it's definitely installed properly.

I went by my LDS where I bought the setup, he hooked it up to a cylinder, and the curling tendency is definitely improved with air in the system. I think because it's curled in the packaging, they'll have a bit of that memory left over, which apparently will disappear over time and use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom