Miflex or Standard Hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ONESPEED

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
So I dedicated my old regs to doubles use and my extremely generous girlfriend gave me a Scubapro MK25 first stage w/ two S600 second stages for Christmas (sorry guys, she does not have a sister). This will be my dedicated singles rig, I will be diving a 7' primary w/ a bunjeed secondary so I need to replace the standard hoses. Anyone have any experience using Miflex in either or both application? Opinions welcome from those who have any experience or knowledge of miflex vs. standard reg hose, especially in this configuration.

I use Miflex on both the primary and secondary, and would highly recommend them. With the rubber hoses I was experiencing the hose pulling the regulator, and with the miflex does not.

I use Miflex on both the primary and secondary, and would highly recommend them. With the rubber hoses I was experiencing the hose pulling the regulator, and with the miflex does not.

Good to know, are you diving a 7' primary and if so do you have any hose routing issues?

I dive a 7' hose and no problem with routing. I prefer to tuck in the extra in the waist strap than, under the can light.

Just switched my setup to Milflex......

Lighter and easier to travel with.......

Not to mention more comfortable underwater......

Darling bride took one look and demanded the same for her.......

M

I switched to Miflex on my singles rig when Miflex first came out. Really enjoy how much easier the hoses route.

I've dived a 5' long hose on warm water dives and 7' long hose with drysuit. The 5' hose does "float up" a bit, probably because it just wraps and doesn't get "tucked".

I route the the 7' hose under my "shade tree light canister". Basically a piece of 1.5" PVC pipe with hose clamps and webbing. I wanted to practice how I'll route the hose when I - at some point - can afford a can light. The 7' Miflex works very well.

Henrik

I dive a 5' miflex, single tank. It is great. I'm a big guy (6'5", 260lbs) and a standard 5' hose would have been too short to do a standard Hogarthian under the arm, across the chest, behind the head routing... but the miflex is flexible enough that I can get away with it, with only minimal reg "pull".

I plan to switch all my primaries to miflex... and as many secondaries as I can, at least until my wife takes away the credit card :D

Best wishes.

I was in the same boat you're in, needed to go to 7' and get shorter on the bungeed one along with a shorter inflator hose so I tried the Miflex. After a few dives all my sets are now Miflex and I'm not looking back. Haven't tried the HP hoses yet, they don't irritate me like the others did. Miflex is so much more flexible and doesn't seem to catch on anything.

At this point, I only dive a single tank. I use a five foot on my primary and a 22" bungee on my octo. I have a pair of Atomic M-1s.

RJP previously stated a concern with hi pressure miflex hoses I hadn't thought of at the time I switched over but does need to be considered. It's so thin that you can easily clip to your hose, say on your SPG, mistaking you've clipped onto your left hip D-ring. If you are diving with gloves, especially thick ones or mittens, I can see that this could cause a problem.

I rarely need gloves thicker than 3mm and so far have been able to tell the difference but after reading his post earlier I agree with his point.

Just food for thought. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely switch the low pressure hoses but not the hi pressure. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom