Mike Ball Spoil Sport 'rip-off' exceeded $1600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch:
I JUST had an interesting interaction with the Paradise Sport, Mike Ball's boat in Papua New Guinea. Two days ago I returned from three weeks diving on the Star Dancer and the Paradise Sport was diving the Kimbe Bay area due to tough weather in their usual haunts. I had lunch with a fellow who had just finished a trip with Mike Ball's boat and he complained that while he had been looking forward to fresh seafood while on the boat, they never had any seafood the whole time. Lots of beef and chicken.

Jayne, the chef on the Star Dancer went into Kimbe with the chef from the Paradise Sport to do some shopping for both of their next trips. She reported that while she loaded ten cartons of fresh foods in the van, the other chef came out with only two shopping bags. We figured they must have lots of frozen foods on board. Hmmmm, just a thought...

All I can say, we were fed like kings and my wetsuit started shrinking from all that salt water.

I can't say anything about the costs, but while they carry up to 22 divers on the boat, one trip had 6 divers and their next had 10. Doesn't sound like they can stay afloat too long on those numbers.

Without wishing to further dig this thread out of the archives i went on paradise sport a few years ago and have to say i was sick of the sight of seafood and in particular Crab after that trip, i had eaten so much during my trip.

Where exactly do you imagine would the frozen food come from in the Kimbe area, certainly no major strores there!!!!

Actually on my trip they bought a lot of fresh produce (crabs and seafood) from the local villagers as they moved from place to place. Part on the fun of the trip to sit down on the dive platform while the crew were bartering with the locals in their dugout canoes.

Last month based on the PNG trip i went on the Mike Ball spoil sport to the coral sea / outer barrier reef and was equally impressed by the food.

i am not associated with mike ball by the way but think credit is due, also just noticed in anothe rpost someone mentionin gthe food was average on the peter hughes boat for the same triip, just luck of the draw i guess

(Where exactly do you imagine would the frozen food come from in the Kimbe area, certainly no major strores there!!!!)

As I said, these were not their usual haunts. They may have stocked up before they came into Kimbe Bay.

(Actually on my trip they bought a lot of fresh produce (crabs and seafood) from the local villagers as they moved from place to place. Part on the fun of the trip to sit down on the dive platform while the crew were bartering with the locals in their dugout canoes.)

You're right about the fun. Due to the "hands off" policy about going to the villages uninvited, it is about your only contact with much of the native population.

(Last month based on the PNG trip i went on the Mike Ball spoil sport to the coral sea / outer barrier reef and was equally impressed by the food.)

I'm sure every trip is different. Their lack of seafood may have been from not using this area as much. We sure don't go there just to eat. The diving is the prime directive, and you can hardly go wrong in PNG. The salt water sure caused MY wetsuit to shrink. It was the water---REALLY!!!

large_diver:
The worst example is the airline industry, where 2 people on the same flight in the same "class" have paid vastly different amounts for their tickets. Did one person get "ripped off"?

Yes I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom