Mike Nelson's Favorite moments...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
I happen to catch an episode of Sea Hunt the other day (it is shown around 5:00 AM locally). The Episode was Diving for the Moon, about Mike and group of five astronauts doing a training dive off the coast of Florida (I didn't know they had giant kelp in Florida). They were trapped on ocean floor for six hours as the storm raged 60 fsw overhead.

It was a fun, if insanely inaccurate portrayal of diving. So many things wrong with it... Hard to pick what was my favorite error. I was going to say that building a raft out of near empty SCUBA tanks on the bottom and then shepherding it up to the surface to use a life raft was the most humorous. But, watching the entire episode online, I was torn, dying of nitrogen Narcosis at 60 fsw seemed like a good candidate. Or that they were passing the time away playing checkers while the storm raged overhead (at 60 fsw a hurricane will beat you into ground meat). Then they huddled around a Magnesium flair for warmth.... UNDERWATER!!! Of course it was funny to hear them saying that at peak hurricane season the water temp in Southern Florida was only 55 F.

I think it is a toss up between the checkers and the U/W campfire. Both were stretches, but I think I will have to give it to the campfire....

Now my question for you all: what is your favorite Mike Nelson moment? What did they do or say on that show that brought a smile to your lips? Was it the balsawood tanks he sauntered around in? Or the that characters would talk about running out of air after MORE than an HOUR at 60 fsw (I have a steel 72 and am pretty sure that is wildly optimistic air consumption diving wet in S. Cal.) If possible mention the episode title so others can check it out and give opinions on your find.

I like that they always cut the left hand hose on the double hose regulators and that sent the bad guy to the surface for air. The left hand hose is the exhaust hose. :) LOL I have all the episodes on DVD. Let me know if you want to borrow a set, after I get my Albert Falco book back that is. :)

I have never seen any of the episodes.... someday though I will buy the dvd set... like AfterDark.....

I happen to catch an episode of Sea Hunt the other day (it is shown around 5:00 AM locally). The Episode was Diving for the Moon, about Mike and group of five astronauts doing a training dive off the coast of Florida (I didn't know they had giant kelp in Florida). \

Kind of like the scenes in "Jaws" where they are on the East Coast and you see giant kelp in the water (of course those portions of the movie were actually filmed out here on Catalina).

I am fortunate to dive many of the sites used in the "Sea Hunt" series and lived for 10 years on the Bay where "Mike Nelson Rock" sits (Toyon Bay)

How about Ep26 Season 4 when Mike watches a TV program called "Demsey of the Deep" showing "Sportsways" single hoe regulators

How about Ep26 Season 4 when Mike watches a TV program called "Demsey of the Deep" showing "Sportsways" single hoe regulators

loved the way Mike goes, "don't you know who Dempsey of the Deep is?" You can tell the age of the show because he was eating ice cream and watching TV, but label of the ice cream was no where to be seen....

I’ve got another one! The Dancer, a famous ballet dancer’s leg is caught in a wreck at 90FSW. She is wearing a bathing suit. She spends 2 hours at 90FSW before Mike frees her with a………..plot killer. The US Navy air dive tables gives her a 101:30 deco obligation a 32 minute stop at 20’ then a 68 minute stop at 10’ with an ascent rate of 60’ per minute.
Just under 4 hours in the water in a bathing suit and not a goose bump on her at the end! Those ballet dancers are a tough lot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom