Mikomoto Weekend recap (June 4/5)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
June 4th/5th was JUE’s first trip to Mikomoto for the year (first of many, I hope). Both Saturday and Sunday the water was unbelievably calm, and current was near nil. Visibility was 10 to 15 meters.

On the first dive Saturday, one group spotted 50 hammerheads, a rarity this time of year. While our group of divers didn’t see Hammers, we did see one small black tip shark and a rather large Angel Shark.

Fish life abounded with some nice sized schools of Jackfish, Tangs, huge Parrotfish, large Angels, a turtle or two, and a wide variety of other marine life in lesser concentrations.

Other divers reveled in the topography of stark underwater spires and canyons to pilot through. Mikomoto is an exceptional seascape…

Soon, we’ll be announcing a date in July for our next Mikomoto weekend.

jagfish:
June 4th/5th was JUE’s first trip to Mikomoto for the year (first of many, I hope).
On the first dive Saturday, one group spotted 50 hammerheads, a rarity this time of year. While our group of divers didn’t see Hammers, we did see one small black tip shark and a rather large Angel Shark.
hi jagfish,

wow, a school of FIFTY hammerheads! it's like Yonaguni in january. the last time i dove in Mikomoto, which was three years ago, our group saw four hammerheads, and even that stirred up some excitement around.

too bad that you guys did not get to see any, but such is LIFE! some get pearls, while some end up with crap!

"me also gonna Mikomoto the week after next and so keeping my fingers crossed!"
ken chung ar

50 Hammerheads sounds awesome! I'm still waiting on my gear to arrive before I can get diving.

Where is Mikimoto?

What temperature was the water?

m

Sightings of school of HH's are arrived to me.
Divers of all diving boat might be able to see the schools on both days of this weekend.
My colleague was able to see twice during his two days stay in Mikomoto.
High ratio could be expected in this season in addition to awesome last one.

With any luck, I'll get out that way some day and be able to dive with some of you! It sounds like a fun place to do some videography!

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom