Military Divers: Steel or Aluminum Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Zimmerly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What type of tanks are most commonly used by our (USA) military divers? Steel or aluminum?

Thanks for anyones input.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

14 days till Coz

Dave,

I suggest you call the Navy Seal Museum in Florida. They have some members who would be happy to advise you. (772) 595-5845

EOD navy guys (Explosive Ordanance Disposal) avoid steel tanks and anything else that gives off a magnetic signature as it can trigger mines that are triggered by metallic objects, like ships. Their gear is non-magnetic. Special non-mag regulators, knives and even wetsuits are specced out to obtain a non-mag signature. Much of the open circuit is done with aluminum 80's with j-valves or aluminum twin 80's with a solid j-valve manifold. The rest is surface supplied air. The only steel tanks I have seen were from the 70's or earlier. I suspect someone out there on the board knows if they are using steel tanks currently in the fleet.

All of my work tanks are AL80, most of them are twin80s with a common manifold with J valve (ie no isolator). We had a couple of singles, but we rarely used them, too small for most of our dives ( 2-3 hours at 10-35 ft).

Used them cause they are cheap, don't corrode, and non magnetic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom