Military Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ft Shafter and never saw any diving personnel.

Sure wish I had known back then that the Army had a diving program.

I did my basic training at Ft Knox--I saw what they did to the tread heads:D or is it;-0

I did a Nat Guard exchange to Ft. Knox. Muchly a :D :D :D.

jbd once bubbled...
Ft Shafter and never saw any diving personnel.

Sure wish I had known back then that the Army had a diving program.

I did my basic training at Ft Knox--I saw what they did to the tread heads:D or is it;-0

jbd Ft Shafter and never saw any diving personnel.

Not sure when you were in HI but the unit there now actually moved up there from Panama when we left.

I guess around 1996 if memory serves...

I did my PLDC at Ft Knox...

Jeff Lane

I guess I missed those folks since I was there 20 years earlier:)

Ontario Diver--we used to tease and laugh at the guys that were going into armor from basic training. Those poor armor guys had it way worse than we had it :wink:

I have a friend who went the officer route to a army engineer dive company. He had already went to combat dive school in key west and was a physical stud. Basicly if you want to be an army diver either special forces or an engineer, you have to be a stud. I mean 100 pushups in 2 min 100 situps in 2 min etc... 11 min 2 mile run time. Thats the kind of stuff you need to be able to do, at least on the officer side. When you talk to your recruiter make sure you are realistic because otherwise your just going to get stuck in some other MOS you dont like. Also realise that there is no gaurentee you would make it, so you might find youself doing something you dont like instead.

jbd once bubbled...
Ontario Diver--we used to tease and laugh at the guys that were going into armor from basic training. Those poor armor guys had it way worse than we had it :wink:

Don't know why? Lets look at the facts...

Armour .............................................. Infantry
Drives everywhere...............................Walks everywhere
has to do lots of engine checks............still walking
Carries beer and boombox...................carries water
Mobile pillbox........................................digs foxhole
A/C shared with electronics..................hot and walking
2 or 3 MGs, large gun...........................small gun with bayonet
effective range 4800m..........................effective range 100m
reach out and touch someone..............hand to hand
enhanced optics...................................MK I eyeball
Clears houses from a distance.............walks into houses
Sexy, dashing, calvarymen...................grunts

I rest my case...

scuberd once bubbled...

did you guys trade in your horses for tanks?

There are only two ex-cav units in the Canadian Army that still have an active horse squadron (for show and parades). Mine was one of them. I did some time with the horsies but am much happier with 800 horses in front of me rather that 1 under me!

Ontario you're sounding like a recruiter:)

Now tell them about burying the tank in mud waist deep to a very tall man, early in the morning and then spending all day working on getting it out of the mud, driving it to the wash point and then having to clean it well enough to eat off of;-0 ;-0

And then they got to do it all over again the very next morning at 0600 :)

I won't tell you about the hard life I had:wink:

I was an officer.

Stuck tank = "o group call"

Sorry guys, see you later!

(Just kidding... lead from the front, don't order a man to do anything you wouldn't/haven't done yourself, take care ofyour men and they'll take care of you etc....)

Back
Top Bottom