Milwaukee Trip report June 3rd and 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterWolf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wow what a great weekend on Lake Michigan. My buddy and I did our PADI deep diver specialty. We dove out of Milwaukee on the Nordic Diver through Underwater Connection in Menominee Falls WI. We went down on the Willie three times and the Milwaukee Car Ferry once. Visibility on the Milwaukee was over 50 ft and on the Willie, it was between 30 and 40. Water temp was 45 on Saturday and 46 on Sunday. We dove wet and surprisingly, it wasn’t bad at all in our 7mm suits. I was very pleased with my new Poseidon Odin. It worked flawlessly.

We dove the Willie twice on Saturday. The waves were 1 – 3 ft and there was no current. The Willie is tipped on its side and was spectacular. We descended down mid ship on all three dives. On the first day, we dropped down the deck side which is vertical and swam back and fourth, peeking into portholes and exploring every crook and cranny. We had to be careful here since there are plenty of obstacles to get hung up on (at least is seemed like it to me but I’m a newbee). Then we swam down the topmost part of the wreck towards the pilot house. What a site to see…

On the second dive, We swam from mid-ship around to the bow. Off the bow and up around 60 ft or so, we saw a large school of alewives practicing their synchronized swimming skills. When I gave a burst of air into by BC, they all fluttered around while remaining perfectly in synch. Very cool… For a minute, I thought that I was in the Caribbean on a reef. Ok, maybe it was more like a second or two.

On Sunday, the water was like glass. We didn’t have much bottom time on the Milwaukee but what little we did have was excellent. The boat sits flat on the bottom. We only covered a small section of the bow which seemed to withstand the test of time pretty well. That’s one huge ship...

Our second dive on Sunday was back on the Willie. We descended mid-ship again and explored the bottom side of the wreck swimming around to the stern. There’s a hole on the bottom side of the stern for anyone interested in penetration. There’s so much more to explore and I can’t wait. We’re going back out to the Willie next week for more. What a thrill.

Happy Diving!!!

sounds like you had a Great Trip!
And yes the lake was flat!
wait till July!
Brad

do it easy:
Sounds like you had a blast. Excellent post- those glassy mornings are awesome.

Did you use a light or just go with the ambient light?

I took an 8 c-cell down on the first dive and used it to shine into some of the holes but the ambient light was great considering we were down around 82 ft. After that, I only took a small backup.

It really was a blast. It was my first cold-water dive from a boat. I sense there's going to be a lot more of them in my future.

Thanks for the report. It was good to hear about the 7mm being enough since I dive wet and am getting really interested in diving these wrecks this summer. I hope to get to Haigh this weekend to get "warmed up" or is that "cooled down" in my new 7mm. :)

moneysavr:
sounds like you had a Great Trip!
And yes the lake was flat!
wait till July!
Brad

Brad, I had a feeling you would know the conditions. I was thinking about you earlier, wondering which wreck you were on. I can’t wait till July. Heck, I can't wait until next week for my next outing. This wreck-diving is awesome stuff!!!

Can I look you up one of these days? Do you ever go out after work, or just weekends?

Fred

jmps:
Thanks for the report. It was good to hear about the 7mm being enough since I dive wet and am getting really interested in diving these wrecks this summer. I hope to get to Haigh this weekend to get "warmed up" or is that "cooled down" in my new 7mm. :)

A guy up at the Green Bay dive shop said something that kind of stuck with me. He said it all depends on how bad you want to be there. I thought about that as I chuckled and splashed in each time. He also said he's seen people ice-diving in wetsuits. That's all I needed to hear. It made the thought of mid 40s seem pleasant. It really wasn't bad at all. They were short dives. But my buddy and I went up to Door county a couple of times over the past month for some shore-dives to get a little acclimated. One day, we spent 1:10 straight in 42 degree in 7mm. Go for it. The wrecks are awesome.

You'll have a lot of fun on the wrecks in the area. The car ferry is one of my favorites. I haven't been on the Willie to much to really get a good feel for it. I've been working my way to the deeper wrecks and will start to move my diving further north out of Two Rivers, WI. Lots of nice, well preserved wrecks in the 200 foot range.

Mmmmm.... Helium!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom