Mine LaMotte Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that sounds good, I'll be there, thanks for the heads up, Phil.

What sort of max depth are we talking about? I've never dove here before. If we're less than 40', two tanks will last a long time. I plan on bringing two HP100s. If we need tanks I can bring along some AL80s. Let me know how many.

What's the temp like?

Attendance List:
Phil
Tom
Stingray1
rsigmund
ResGDivr
Jawisa

Actually, my brother is in as well. The updated list...
Attendance List:
Phil
Tom
Stingray1
rsigmund
bsigmund
ResGDivr
Jawisa

To keep things straight if you are coming, please cut this list and add your name.

Lets try this again...

Attendance List:
Skdvr
B1gcountry
Stingray1 ?
fleep ?
rsigmund
bsigmund
ResqDiver
Jawsa1

That is eight people, two of which are maybes... Think we can get to ten for sures :)

Attendance List:
Skdvr - Phil
B1gcountry
Stingray1 ?
fleep ?
rsigmund
bsigmund
ResqDiver
Jawsa1

I am in for sure unless something comes up for work. I am requesting off for that weekend so I should be good to go.

Phil

If you look closely its not from the "ceiling" inside the cave.. it was the outside of the opening consisting of cedar trees, soil and some rock. It fell in 1999 after a severely wet winter.
cya

I hope your right. But I know people that dove the place 30 years ago and they say the swim through was solid. You couldnt see the sky while you were in it. If your wrong looks like a easy place to get hurt.

If anyone else can try to contact the Missouri Dept of Consversation to try to get our hands on the stream clean up type bags... I am doing the same so dont think Im trying to deligate this.. hahaha... just if I get 12 bags .. someone else gets 12 and so forth.. you get the ideas...
Hey Murdrcycle Thanks for the help.. Will definately keep you informed of the next trip..

Thanks to everyone for their effort...

Lets see.. tanks... I can make a couple of phone calls and try to get more but until I post otherwise dont plan on them.

Clean up will be concentrated on the main swim area. We will get a crap load of aluminum. We can cash it in and use it for something related to the cause.
PROBLEM: what do we do with the cans when we get done bringin them up? My big truck is down. I am trying to get it going I need a part for my transfer case. If anyone has it its a NP205 in a F250. I need the adaptor plate or nose that goes to the T-18 4spd. All Aluminum.
any other suggestions? No not for my truck the can issue.
laterz

Hey FEB1562... your friend was right.. its a tunnel or cave that leads from the swampy area to the main swim area. There is an opening all the way though with about 5-8 feet of air all the way through. 30 years ago it was a straight shot to the main area. NOW you have to to in about 5 ' turn left and swim about 30 yds to the main opening.. all the way you have sight of where you came in and where your going. Easy place to get hurt? YEP!!!.. . Hell people get killed there all year long and they werent divers. Diver deaths at Mine LaMotte??? I have not clue .. anyone know?
Cya

I don't know, but it looks like I may have to cut my trip short and make sure that I'm back for the 13th. We'll see. I have to make my money u know. Any one besides me have any boat fenders that they could donate to this cause. Poly line or cable? Mesh collection bags work great for this kind of activity. Fill them lift bag them to the surface. Someone collect them before they fall over and sink back down. Another remedy to that is to make sure that u only put enough air in the bag to get them to rise at a slow ascent. Diving physics does the rest. (Remember what you learned in basic scuba? Air at depth expands as it rises.) So only a very minute amout of air is needed to start the lift. That way the bags don't pop up at the surface and fall over spilling their air out and thus sinking back to the bottom - lift bag lost for the time being.

We will be installing a divers dock over on the lagoon and diver shack side sometime this winter as well. No more troding over mud and stones to get into the water.

Like I said folks we are cleaning this place up and making it diver friendly. I'm got some other ideas that I will be talking to the owner about in the near future on making this place comparitable to mermet springs.

Until later, later. Norm

If anyone else can try to contact the Missouri Dept of Consversation to try to get our hands on the stream clean up type bags... I am doing the same so dont think Im trying to deligate this.. hahaha... just if I get 12 bags .. someone else gets 12 and so forth.. you get the ideas...

Lets see.. tanks... I can make a couple of phone calls and try to get more but until I post otherwise dont plan on them.

If you get a contact number for the bags please post it and I'll do the same.

As far as bumpers and such, I will be bringing several 4 gallon detergent bottles and nylon cord for markers (I think that I have 4 - 5).

Bill and I are working on bringing some extra tanks as well. I never heard how many dives we are planning on I was thinking three, maybe four, does this sound right.

We still have no inflatable boat or anything like that.

Hey FEB1562... your friend was right.. its a tunnel or cave that leads from the swampy area to the main swim area. There is an opening all the way though with about 5-8 feet of air all the way through. 30 years ago it was a straight shot to the main area. NOW you have to to in about 5 ' turn left and swim about 30 yds to the main opening.. all the way you have sight of where you came in and where your going. Easy place to get hurt? YEP!!!.. . Hell people get killed there all year long and they werent divers. Diver deaths at Mine LaMotte??? I have not clue .. anyone know?
Cya

You're still not selling me on the idea of swimming through a tunnel that could collaspe on me. Untill you KNOW it wont collaspe again seems like a risk you dont need to take.
If I'm reading you right you think it could fall again but you're willing to take that chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom