Minehead wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Close then! 🤣
Minehead Somerset and minehead Waterford get mixed up quite a bit on loss reports. The Lavander was reported lost south of Minehead Somerset which would put her inland. But she was stationed at Queenstown (Cobh) in Cork and had taken the SS Manchester Engineer under tow, after she was torpedoed by U 44, which subsequently sunk, survivors were landed at Cobh. We located and dived the Manchester Engineer in 67m 13 miles SSW of Hook Head.
N51. 57•020 W007.12•910
HMS Lavender was torpedoed by UC 75 ( Johannes Lohs) 10 miles SE of Minehead Waterford, after 2 days the survivors drifted ashore on the Irish coast in a lifeboat.

Please take this as constructive criticism to help you improve, because I think you are doing cool things, but could tell the story in a more compelling way.

The footage you have isn't bad, but it is really missing context. Tell people where you are (generally), and what you are diving on. If you don't know, emphasize the mystery aspect of it. Tell the story of how you learned about these wrecks, the journey to get to them, the dangers of diving them, etc.

Your footage would also benefit from some music. One of the members on here (I apologize I am on my phone and don't have his user ID or website) puts out some very good royalty free music for video production. Remember, your choice of music should tell the viewer what they are supposed to be feeling about what they are watching, without detracting from the video itself. Should they be excited? Nervous? Relaxed?

YouTube's statistics show that most people only watch the first 30 seconds or less of a video, so that is how much time you have to convince them your video is worth their time.

Feel free to reach out if you want ideas or resources.
Thanks, I’m very bad with videos, I use it to keep a record and study details and landmarks. But definitely not going to win any awards.

Thanks, I’m very bad with videos, I use it to keep a record and study details and landmarks. But definitely not going to win any awards.
If you shown the video in a open forum then you should expect criticism, like it or not.
Narrative is important but definitely NO music.
Happy hunting.

I don't think your videos are bad, just that there is room to improve. As a fellow aficionado of diving unknown wrecks, I think we are well positioned to tell interesting stories.

I may be in the minority, but I tend to turn off the sound when I watch dive videos. I find "mood music" distracting. It's background noise to me. Narration, on the other hand, would be great, but few do that.
Same here, I dislike dive videos music unless it has been either timed with the video contents or if it is very light mood music.

Not a problem, I don’t usually turn on the music on these videos.

+1 for narration

Would like to hear about how you found the wreck and where it is, when you dived it. Looks interesting :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom