Mini DV tapes and Firewire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there something wrong or just how it is? It seems that the capture video through the firewire port on my VX1000 I have to fast forward the tape then rewind it or the capture in adobe premier pro will freeze. Does the tape tension have to be just so? Also I have a tape recorded on a newer camcorder (not mine) that will not capture at all. It just shows a black screen. I'm assuming that my VX1000 is to old to use to capture the newer tape? Any ideas?

Is this the camera that was flooded? I had a similar problem with my old TRV-20. I borrowed a friends camera, and determined that it was my camera and not the firewire to my computer, since my friends camera worked fine as far as capture went.

The MiniDV format is just that, and SHOULD be interchangable with ANY miniDV camera.

Also... another test you can try is to attempt to capture from your camera (using firewire) to Windows Movie Maker (if you're using a windows computer)

I might be wrong on this but isn't there a couple of formats for the mini dv tapes? I think that one is mostly over seas. They won't interchange with each other. I don't remember if it was here or on another board but somebody had sent a tape to a friend to view and she couldn't since it was a different format. This is the first thing that I thought of when you said "black screen".

Yes it was the camera that flooded. I removed the side opposite the tape drive side and didn't see any signs of water entry. I honestly don't know if the capture worked before the flood or not since I didn't get a firewire card til after my trip. DV capture and firewire are totally new to me. I used to capture analog frequently and had no problems. I don't see any signs of water in the firewire port or any of the other ports. If the video capture works with the housing when I get it back I'll probably take it to St. Croix then send it in to be repaired when I get back. It all hinges on whether the LANC port works when I get the housing back. This is a great camera but I'm finding out that buying older DV camcorders and housings is not the smartest idea since getting them repaired is fairly difficult since parts are hard to come by.

There is PAL and NTSC, but I don't believe this is a consideration of firewire capture. The firewire cable and the computer don't care about broadcast standards.

MiniDV tapes can be used to record a few different formats of video but I agree, that you should not have to forward and rewind. Sounds like a camera issue, and the tape tension may well be be at issue here in regards to the tape not being able to be read in a timely fashion. I use MiniDV with premier all the time, but rarely use my camera (DVX100) to do the capturing.

The suggestion to try a friends camera was a good one. That's what I'd try first.

I'm pretty sure the tape is american standard. I can see the tape playing in the view finder but for some reason Adobe won't capture it. I think aside from PAL (european and NTSC) you also have DV1 and DV2. I don't have a setup for the video ports to try capture that way but will probably get one today. The rubber plug was in the firewire port during the dive and since the housing only had about a half a cup of water in it I don't think any water entered the port. I see no signs anyway. I wish I had known if it worked before.

PerroneFord:
I use MiniDV with premier all the time, but rarely use my camera (DVX100) to do the capturing.
QUOTE]

How do you capture the video without using the camera? Do they make a miniDV tape drive? The suggestion for using a friends camera is great. I just have to find someone that has one.

THanks
Judy

Yes, there are miniDV video tape recorders. They operate very similarly to a standard VCR but operate with DV or miniDV tapes. I don't know if they exist in the consumer market, and the professional ones are a bit pricy :) I have a JVC one that reads miniDV, DVCAM, and DVCPro, both PAL and NTSC, and can run on batteries. But it runs about $1899. I doub't most folks would pay that, but they may be able to be found second-hand.

PerroneFord:
Yes, there are miniDV video tape recorders. They operate very similarly to a standard VCR but operate with DV or miniDV tapes. I don't know if they exist in the consumer market, and the professional ones are a bit pricy :) I have a JVC one that reads miniDV, DVCAM, and DVCPro, both PAL and NTSC, and can run on batteries. But it runs about $1899. I doub't most folks would pay that, but they may be able to be found second-hand.

An alternative is to buy a cheap mini dv camcoder. Yeah, I know, you already have a camcorder, but a cheap 2nd one can be used for all the transfering to/from the pc during editing. You can also use it for topside shooting on the boat, land, etc..

I did exactly what ronsosa said early on, when my firewire died on my original TRV-20. You can buy a miniDV camera for less than $200 now...

The camera still works after being flooded? Was it sea water or fresh? Sea water is VERY CORROSIVE. My camera that got about a cup of sea water was toast. Completely gone. Lesson learned on that one...

What everyone here has said is good advice... I know that you were asking about LANC in your other thread, so any SONY camera with LANC would work in your housing, since LANC is the same for all SONY's that have it.

I hope this helps... Feel free to ask any other questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom