Mini DV tapes and Firewire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
lai,

If this setting was set incorrectly, would he get black screen, or garbled capture. I could try it later today and see. I'm guessing he would not get black screen.

I think you're right.

I had a cam where the DV-Out port just died... It's not that hard to believe, and she (jstuart1) did say the camera was in a housing that flooded.

PerroneFord:
lai,

If this setting was set incorrectly, would he get black screen, or garbled capture. I could try it later today and see. I'm guessing he would not get black screen.

well, if the tape was recorded in PAL for example and he played it in NTSC, it would show a "static" picture (like the one you see on "Ringu" movie)...but if her camera was flooded (as she mentioned), it could be that her cam is defective...

:D it was nice to know you can have a multisystem, atleast you can play both formats...

-lai-

Well,

I had a few moments so I tried it. Put Premier in PAL and connected an NTSC source and captured. As I suspected, it worked fine. No jitter, no issue. PAL/NTSC is a broadcast standard and computers don't recognize them at all, which is why we can covert one to the other easily on the computer.

Note, this is also why we can take either a PAL or NTSC DVD and play it in any computer just fine.

The issue lies elsewhere, likely hardware related.

PerroneFord:
I had a few moments so I tried it. Put Premier in PAL and connected an NTSC source and captured. As I suspected, it worked fine. No jitter, no issue.QUOTE]

i see...that's good to know! 'coz i haven't tried choosing PAL in Premiere since we're using NTSC here...

PerroneFord:
Note, this is also why we can take either a PAL or NTSC DVD and play it in any computer just fine.
The issue lies elsewhere, likely hardware related.

yeah, DVD has no broadcast system issue...unless you want to output the material in tapes, it must have a specific broadcast system for viewing purposes...

thanks for the info! :D

-lai-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom