Mini Trip Report: Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDonn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got back last week from a family vacation to Kona and was able to get a couple of days diving in as well. After some research on SB, and speaking with friends, decided to go with Kona Diving Company. This turned out to be a GREAT choice. KDC has a very comfortable boat, and even when there was a large group of Snorkelers on board none of the divers felt crowded or like we were on a cattle boat. Katie, Kerry and David are awesome D/M's with the ability to put the divers in small groups with similar abilities and letting us dive our own profiles-even when some of us were new to their operation.
I noticed that their rates were slightly higher than other DO's but this outfit offers amenities on board that I have never seen before: There was food (sandwiches and wraps) drinks (soda, water, lemonade, fruit juices, etc.) snacks (goldfish, trail mix and Kerrys to-die-for brownies) on every dive- both mornings and twi night doubles. In addition they offered a wide variety of HOT drinks such as cocoa and cup of soup. In 25+ years of diving I never realized how nice it is to have a hot cup of soup in between dives.
This is a very professional, laid-back operation who believe that diving should be fun and they all seem to make that happen for everyone. From advance reservations to special requests, KDC came through like champs. I would dive with them anytime I get back to the Kona area.
Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't urge EVERYONE, no matter which DO you use to do the night Manta Ray dive. I now understand why it is considered one of the top dives in the world. Good Luck,
DD

I have dove with Kona Diving company many times, they are great.

There are lots of good diving companies here in Kona. ll have their pros and cons.

Are you a later sleeper, there are dive's that ch-in ay 9:15am and then some at
7:30-8:30 AM.

Do you NEED personalized service or comfort? not many offer both. KDC is a 12-pack boat, which allows the best of both worlds. The comfort of a big boat, but the personalized service of a 6-pack. They have done a good job under new ownership from after taking over BottomTime Hawaii in January of 2010.

Wanna Dive is a nice 6-pack operation and do a great job. They have a NEW retail location conveniently located across from the harbor! DM's Cathy and Bob have been guiding dives in Kona forever...they have an innate ability to point out things that I have seen 50 times and never knew what it was...and I have over 180 on the Kona coast.

have fune here.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom