Minimum training standard to start with a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha. Me either. Hanging out at 39 feet to squeeze out the last bit of diving just doesn't seem appealing to me on CCR.

I will admit, the numbers do work. I would have to be even much shallower as I generally run a 1.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. Me either. Hanging out at 39 feet to squeeze out the last bit of diving just doesn't seem appealing to me on CCR.

I will admit, the numbers do work. I would have to be even much shallower as I generally run a 1.2

You'd still need trimix.

Haha. Me either. Hanging out at 39 feet to squeeze out the last bit of diving just doesn't seem appealing to me on CCR. I will admit, the numbers do work. I would have to be even much shallower as I generally run a 1.2 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it were off the NC coast, a 39' dive would be kind of a waste. However, a 2 1/2 hour dive off Bonaire, doing one last site I've never dove, before spending the rest of the day in airports and flying....to me that's a definite bonus of a CCR.

If it were off the NC coast, a 39' dive would be kind of a waste. However, a 2 1/2 hour dive off Bonaire, doing one last site I've never dove, before spending the rest of the day in airports and flying....to me that's a definite bonus of a CCR.

(Edited after a silly typo)... unless I made another silly typo when punching the numbers, technically with 64% Nitrox would give you the same ppN2 at 39' as the ppN2 you get on the surface, with 99% CNS load, and if your SAC rate is about the average 0.6 cuft/min., you would only need 200cuft, so you could do this dive in OC with a larger set of doubles, no CCR required... :wink:

Taking AN/DP add a little HE just for fun and a set of 100's or side mounted al 80's will get that dive done with out the complication or cost of a " underwater portable gas mixing station " strapped to your back. lol!

After pushing some deep stuff a couple of years ago, I now really enjoy the long soaks in rec depths with a set of 100's, a litttle HE, and some light deco.
YMMV
Eric

There are usually 2 ways to do almost anything.

You can do that dive, as you said, on 200 cf of 64% nitrox. All you need is a set of 120's and someone on the island who can do the fill. They would likely charge $120.00 for the fill. You would still have to lug those heavy bottles around. You'd also need a large wing, since you'd need to lift to overcome the weight of the tanks with no wetsuit.

I started that dive with 1200# in a 29 cf O2 cylinder. Brought it back with 200# or so. I had already filled my scrubber before the last dive the day before. So I used maybe 10 cubic feet of oxygen, finishing off a fill on the O2 cylinder and used up the last scrubber fill. Essentially a zero cost dive, since I have been charged for the fill and sorb anyway. In my mind, that's being less wasteful of resources:wink:

I'm sure there are folks out there who think I'm crazy for that last dive. I'm sure there are those out there who think I'm taking too many risks. That's ok. Just as there are plenty of CCR divers who think it's too risky to dive a CCR solo. To each their own.

If you own that mixing station station and chose to dive the shallow dive in Bonaire, good on you. I am going to assume you dive more depth than that when in NC. My " post in jest " was to address the new diver who has terrible skills and sac rate, looking to jump to a rebreather. That is the worst example of a " gear solution for a skills and experiance problem" that was ever uttered. A return to the OP if you will. You need good skills to move on to a rebreather. Closed or semi makes no differance. The retail world is marketing a different message.
Eric

Definitely true. You need good skills, a thorough understanding of the physics of diving, and depending on the unit, decent mechanical skills. You also have to have the character to be able to scrub a dive, even if you're 2+ hours off the coast on a boat, if something goes wrong with the unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom