Minimum training standard to start with a rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found that critters react to double hose regulators about the same as single hoses. Bubbles still make noise that they can hear and feel no matter how you try to disburse the gas. Double hose regulators are nice for photographers since bubbles don’t get in the way unless you are on your back. It is hard to beat a totally closed circuit rebreather for animal interaction.
When I was working with Jack Kellon on the BMD and then the Odyseey Rebreather ( the precursors to the Halcyon RB 80), Kellon had rigged a large sponge with very fine pores, that was at the exhaust for whenever the semi closed rebreather needed to "burp"... :)
The very fine mist of bubbles made absolutely no sound....and it was like a fine mist coming out...a fine fiz....

Might be worth gluing some sponge onto the end of a standard reg and jumping in the pool to test out.

Does anyone actually dive a square profile. Maybe on a wreck or along a wall. Photographers don't do square profiles as a rule. I try to start deep and work my way up the reef however if I find something interesting then I will follow it around for a bit.

As far as maximizing bottom time, if you are planning a square profile and have the correct gas, there is essentially no difference in NDL between rebreather and open circuit.... Provided you follow the square profile.

Snails.
I've never gotten that close, blowing bubbles everywhere.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2014 at 02:31 PM ----------

I also have another shot of the computer, dive time was at 68mins with a avg depth of 45 feet.
I had another 50 mins of dive time remaining.
You would need more than an al80 for that.

I do get much better marine life interaction on my CCR than I ever did on OC...on those rare occasions the howling DPV and the blinding HID aren't making all the fishies scatter. Here's an especially loud example of a recent "silent" dive: Ze plane! Part 1 - YouTube

A photograher I am not :shakehead: All the fish getting in the way of the wreckage weren't helping...stupid fish, not running away and all.

I like the fishies.. Cant do this on OC.
fish - YouTube
Like many other underwater videographers, when I want to have no bubbles for a fish interaction of the sort you like.....the cross-training with freediving give me about a minute and a half of zero bubble apnea for dead quiet video interaction :)

40 seconds of re-charge, and I can do it again...and again.....As to expense on a trip, this will work anywhere in the world, there is no chance of a malfunction, and it is FREE :)

There are some guys I know that do video at 380 feet.....Now they can do stuff with their rebreathers I would NOT be inclined to try, no matter what, with open circuit.....it would just be way too much of a clusterf*ck with all the tanks and deco time and issues for open circuit t this depth, regardless of the video target....however, in shallower than 300, I don't feel there is any operational advantage to a rebreather--particularly when every single dive charter that I would enjoy using for this, will be catering to bottom times and deco times for OC divers, and the rebreather guy that "could" stay down an extra 40 minutes, and then deco for an extra couple of hours--would NOT be allowed to do this anyway....Not to mention, stuff can happen like storms coming up, or other issues that keep me feeling that the 2 hour or so total run time of an open circuit tech dive, is about the most I would go for in open ocean.

In other words....I really can't imagine ANYTHING a rebreather would allow me to shoot that I cant do easily with OC....As I said earlier, I have used rebreathers. Just dont see the benefit for me.

Isn't that the best thing about being individuals?

You can do your thing, I can do mine.
Great, isn't it!!!

Good outlook. More people on scubaboard should take note.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2014 at 11:20 PM ----------

I like the fishies.. Cant do this on OC.
fish - YouTube

Awesome! I guess I didn't know what I've been missing.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2014 at 11:21 PM ----------

I do get much better marine life interaction on my CCR than I ever did on OC...on those rare occasions the howling DPV and the blinding HID aren't making all the fishies scatter. Here's an especially loud example of a recent "silent" dive: Ze plane! Part 1 - YouTube

A photograher I am not :shakehead: All the fish getting in the way of the wreckage weren't helping...stupid fish, not running away and all.

Is something wrong with your scooter or is that typical of how they sound?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom