Minor problems leading to diving anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have about 40+ logged dives, but it seems that the last 5-10 have all had incidences that have caused me to be apprehensive about getting back in the water.
I guess it started in Cabo when my reg was giving me a mixture of water and air, and for some reason the alternate was doing the same. I had to share air with the DM as he dragged me along on the dive. Very embarrassing.
Then I had an incident in Monterey in very cold water, diving in kelp, getting really really stuck in the kelp and heavy current and having my buddy turn around after about 5 mins. and see that I was stuck and came back to retrieve me. I didn't freak out, but was getting pretty close.
Then I did a deep dive and couldn't see the bottom. That was uncomfortable for me, is that normal?
I had a super long surface swim after a boat dive leading to some serious fatigue that I skipped the next one, due to my buddy taking off fast and leading me on a wild goose chase. I took a navigation course after that.
Then you have the usual problems with mask clearing and problems equalizing. I love to dive, I don't want to stop, how do I get back into diving after already having taken the AOW course but feeling like a newbie? Take another OW course to become comfortable with the basic skills again?

You'll have a lot of input on this one. However, if I were you ( knowing what I now know ) I would hire a DM to go with me on a few easy dives. The DM can or should give you some comfort and help you get past that unease.

Or, just go diving in easy conditions 'till your comfortable again.

Dive more often, at least once a week.

You'll have a lot of input on this one. However, if I were you ( knowing what I now know ) I would hire a DM to go with me on a few easy dives. The DM can or should give you some comfort and help you get past that unease.

Or, just go diving in easy conditions 'till your comfortable again.

That is a very good idea that randy is giving you!!
Be sure to check out the DM you are going to use and see that you are getting a good one!

Excellent post/advice Randy!!

I would love to rent a DM. How do I go about doing that? Check with my LDS?

That would be a good start. Then after a few dives, go do some easy diving without the DM. Gain confidence in yourself and your abilities. Then you'll be back to getting the same amount of enjoyment from your diving.

Wouldn't hurt to set a few goals along the way - avoiding entanglements like kelp, maybe a review of skills w/ your buddy, lead or plan the dive instead of following your buddy, etc.

I have about 40+ logged dives, but it seems that the last 5-10 have all had incidences that have caused me to be apprehensive about getting back in the water.
I guess it started in Cabo when my reg was giving me a mixture of water and air, and for some reason the alternate was doing the same. I had to share air with the DM as he dragged me along on the dive. Very embarrassing.
Then I had an incident in Monterey in very cold water, diving in kelp, getting really really stuck in the kelp and heavy current and having my buddy turn around after about 5 mins. and see that I was stuck and came back to retrieve me. I didn't freak out, but was getting pretty close.
Then I did a deep dive and couldn't see the bottom. That was uncomfortable for me, is that normal?
I had a super long surface swim after a boat dive leading to some serious fatigue that I skipped the next one, due to my buddy taking off fast and leading me on a wild goose chase. I took a navigation course after that.
Then you have the usual problems with mask clearing and problems equalizing. I love to dive, I don't want to stop, how do I get back into diving after already having taken the AOW course but feeling like a newbie? Take another OW course to become comfortable with the basic skills again?
First, don't think the AOW course should make you advanced, because it doesn't.

I agree hiring a DM and doing easier dives is a good idea. Have them help you practice basic skills too, whatever you're having problems with. That would probably be more help than taking OW again. But trying to address some specific causes of your recent issues would be good too.

As far as the reg, was this a rental or your own? Was it ever determined why you were getting water? (This could be as simple as a mouthpiece that's loose.) If you're using rental regs, now is the time to get your own reg that you know works and is maintained properly. As far as being embarrassed, don't be. People don't carry alternates for looks, they're meant to be used when needed. However, you don't really want to share air for a long period. If something is going wrong that you need to share air you really want to be ending the dive at that point. Probably the DM didn't want to surface because he had other people, and it would have been difficult to take you up and go back down to the others, hard to say. But ideally you would be diving with a buddy with whom you would share air and surface.

And that brings us to buddies - either you've got a lousy one, or you're getting lousy insta-buddies, and that's causing some of your problems. You need to work at finding regular dive buddies you can trust. You might find people on this board, though a local dive club, or dives organized by a local shop. If you can find a local "mentor" that would be great. Or was there anyone in your class who might also want to practice on some real easy dives?

Also sounds like you're getting yourself into some situations you're not quite ready for. Taking a navigation class in response to getting lost was a good start, but obviously not chasing a crazy buddy and getting lost would be better. Navigation is often more about knowing where you are and not getting lost to begin with, and it becomes more difficult if you haven't been paying attention and have no idea where you are. I've never dove in kelp, but I understand there are some basic techniques to help avoid getting tangled and best ways to detangle yourself, and it sounds like maybe you need to learn those from someone. If you haven't, you really shouldn't be diving in kelp especially in a strong current. Not being able to see the bottom, sure it is going to make some people nervous at first. If you're not comfortable in that situation yet perhaps it's best to avoid dives like that for a bit until you gain some confidence back. Same with avoiding strong currents for now.

Stuff like mask clearing and equalizing generally just needs practice. If you don't have those nailed down yet, you should be sticking to simpler dives than you've been doing.

Yes check with your LDS. Another thing while you are in there......ask about group dives or buddying up with a more experienced diver. No matter what, be honest to whomever you are diving with....let them know your apprehensions but the best thing you can do, as mentioned, is dive. It helps having a mentor that you can dive with, ask questions of, get feedback from......you are new and not perfect. It just takes time and experience to feel like a fish in the water.

I couldn't agree more that being AOW does not mean you're advanced. In my case it simply means I have been on more dives with an instructor present. I do not have a regular buddy at all and sure wish I did, my plan was to join the local dive club, next meeting is 8/19.
I was told that continuing to take classes is the best way to keep your skills current and meet new people, but task-loading is not something I want to be doing right now, doesn't make any sense to try to build upon what I perceive to be a shaky foundation.
My reg. was my own, I took it for servicing after that incident and used it once or twice after, then it needed servicing again (annual) and I starting just renting regs instead. I bought my reg setup used and need a new one, I looked into buying a new set from a local instructor here, it was new and when I tried to use it it was hard-breathing. I understand they loosen up after 6-7 dives, but being 30' down with new regs. that made it feel like I wasn't getting enough air...well, yet another reason why I have some diving anxiety. Once again, I didn't freak out, I kept watching my bubbles which confirmed to me that I was indeed still getting air...but led to a bad diving experience. Might not have been the reg's fault at all, maybe it's all in my head or chest congestion that day, who knows? I just want to get started again. I love diving, I love being with people who enjoy the same thing I do. Hoping this dive club is going to be the key.

Back
Top Bottom