Minor problems leading to diving anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Pacificgal,

I'm in your area, so hopefully I can help provide some location relevant information:

I have about 40+ logged dives, but it seems that the last 5-10 have all had incidences that have caused me to be apprehensive about getting back in the water.

This happens to all of us, don't think you're alone in experiencing these issues!

I guess it started in Cabo when my reg was giving me a mixture of water and air, and for some reason the alternate was doing the same. I had to share air with the DM as he dragged me along on the dive. Very embarrassing.

Can't really help here, it really sounds like an equipment issue. I'm not sure if I would have wanted to continue the dive tethered to the DM either, but I have seen this kind of thing happen a few times in resort locations (and considering that I have fewer than 25 tropical dives, that's too much!) and it unfortunately isn't rare.

Then I had an incident in Monterey in very cold water, diving in kelp, getting really really stuck in the kelp and heavy current and having my buddy turn around after about 5 mins. and see that I was stuck and came back to retrieve me. I didn't freak out, but was getting pretty close.

A couple of things. First and foremost, this sounds like a team/buddy awareness issue. 5 minutes is a LONG time, and I suspect it only felt like 5 minutes to you. But when my buddies and I dive, we're *constantly* making ourselves aware of where each other are, several times a minute. It doesn't mean we make eye contact and "OK" all the time, but we work hard at staying together and staying in eyeshot. There's nothing like being in a pickle and seeing your buddy swim blithely away. I'd work on communicating expectations with your buddies, frequent checks, emphasizing diving together as a team. I find I have a lot more fun this way.

Also, getting stuck in kelp sucks, but it's usually not a big deal. Our local kelp is pretty fragile, and breaks easily. Bend it over itself like you're snapping a carrot and the kelp will do the same. If you find you can't move, just stop, look around and underneath you to see what you're snagged on, and deal with it one strand at a time. If you try to spin around, you'll likely entangle yourself more.

Then I did a deep dive and couldn't see the bottom. That was uncomfortable for me, is that normal?

Totally normal. Having no visual reference is one of the toughest things to deal with, and a lot of people get vertigo in these situations. Take it slowly, watch your depth, try to focus on particulates in the water to track your motion, and use your 15ft safety stop to "simulate" blue water so you get more used to the feeling.

I had a super long surface swim after a boat dive leading to some serious fatigue that I skipped the next one, due to my buddy taking off fast and leading me on a wild goose chase. I took a navigation course after that.

I hate this as well, and it's another buddy communication issue. Whenever it happened to me, I just suffered quietly, letting resentment build up. Not the best way to handle it. Let your buddy know you'd feel safer surface swimming together, and if he gets too far away, call out and ask them to slow down or come back. Chances are your buddy just assumed you were fine, but is happy to slow down.

Then you have the usual problems with mask clearing and problems equalizing. I love to dive, I don't want to stop, how do I get back into diving after already having taken the AOW course but feeling like a newbie? Take another OW course to become comfortable with the basic skills again?

If you spend some time hear, you'll see there's not a lot of respect for AOW class, which many feel is just the equivalent of a few more dives in the company of an instructor. This just means again, you're not alone. Getting better and more comfortable at diving is all about experience--doing more dives--and not the number of classes or cards you have. Just take things slow, get out there more, and to feel more comfortable with mask clears and drills, use the shallows at the end of your dive to run a drill - do a mask clear, switch to your octo and back, try an out of air drill with your buddy. It'll give you some practice with critical basic skills and help you feel better in the water.

In case you haven't done so, visit the NorCal subforum here - we have a great community of enthusiastic divers, experienced and new, who love to chat, share stories and experiences, and help each other. It's also a great place to seek out new buddies for dives.

Don't give up, you're in exactly the same place many of us have been with ~40 dives!

Join a dive club. Find a mentor.

The San Jose Flipper Dippers is one of the oldest clubs around.

General Meetings are held at the Santa Maria Hall of the Knights of Columbus, 2211 Shamrock Drive, Campbell, which is off S. Bascom Avenue near Camden Avenue. Map/Directions

The Club's General Meetings are on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.
The meetings start at 7:30 PM

[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0][SIZE=+0]Find a quality advanced diver course in San Jose:
e-mail: SCUBA@munchnet.com
John Munch - Phone: 408-656-1195[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Yes, that's the one I'm looking into. I unfortunately missed this month's meeting by a week but have read the requirements for acceptance and hope that this club is a way for me to meet other divers and hopefully connect with a buddy that can be a consistent buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom