Mirrorless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Someone mentioned to me recently there may be a compatibility issue between mirrorless cameras and underwater photography but they did not recall what it was. This friend shoots DSLR. Anyone else heard this? Sounded sort of odd but I have encountered stranger things...

That is a pretty vague question, not knowing what the compatibility issue might be.

That is a pretty vague question, not knowing what the compatibility issue might be.
The description was pretty vague from my friend. I'm not overly familiar with mirrorless technology so not sure if he was talking about low light capability or any other aspect of photography. It seemed sort of strange but again, I'm not familiar with the format yet so thought I'd hit up the SCUBA Board brain trust...

Compatibility issue? I've been shooting a mirrorless (Sony A6300) underwater for the past ~5 years, and I haven't found it yet 🙄

That said, both mirrorless and SLR cameras have their pros and cons. Early mirrorless cameras used contrast-detection autofocus, which lagged significantly in speed behind SLRs' dedicated phase-detection array. As time went on, most mirrorless cameras gained on-sensor phase detection autofocus, and eventually surpassed SLRs in both features (eye-detect AF is now common on mirrorless, but cannot be implemented on SLRs) and speed, albeit the latter is only true for the highest-end models, primarily Sony A1.

There are some points in either direction when it comes to lens selection, especially underwater. The only mirrorless platform with native fisheye lenses is micro four thirds, with both Olympus and Panasonic offering an 8mm fisheye option. However, most mirrorless systems can use SLR fisheye lenses via adapters, Canon 8-15mm being the most popular choice on full frame and Tokina 10-17mm on APS-C. On the other hand, mirrorless systems (with the exception of Canon RF and Nikon Z FX) have native lenses that are compatible with wet optics, which is not the case with SLRs, and while it's possible to adapt SLR lenses to mirrorless, it doesn't work the other way around.

A significant advantage of EVFs/screens, as opposed to OVFs (optical viewfinders) are the focusing aids that are available - you have magnification, focus peaking, zebra striping, after-shot review, etc. A weakness, however, is shooting into the sun - when you have sun in the frame, it's just this giant ball taking half your field of view, so framing becomes mostly guesswork, whereas with OVFs it's much easier.

If you're shooting video, then by necessity any camera that you use is mirrorless - even if you're using a DSLR, the mirrors are locked in the open optical path position, turning the camera into a mirrorless equivalent.

Compatibility issue? I've been shooting a mirrorless (Sony A6300) underwater for the past ~5 years, and I haven't found it yet 🙄

That said, both mirrorless and SLR cameras have their pros and cons. Early mirrorless cameras used contrast-detection autofocus, which lagged significantly in speed behind SLRs' dedicated phase-detection array. As time went on, most mirrorless cameras gained on-sensor phase detection autofocus, and eventually surpassed SLRs in both features (eye-detect AF is now common on mirrorless, but cannot be implemented on SLRs) and speed, albeit the latter is only true for the highest-end models, primarily Sony A1.

There are some points in either direction when it comes to lens selection, especially underwater. The only mirrorless platform with native fisheye lenses is micro four thirds, with both Olympus and Panasonic offering an 8mm fisheye option. However, most mirrorless systems can use SLR fisheye lenses via adapters, Canon 8-15mm being the most popular choice on full frame and Tokina 10-17mm on APS-C. On the other hand, mirrorless systems (with the exception of Canon RF and Nikon Z FX) have native lenses that are compatible with wet optics, which is not the case with SLRs, and while it's possible to adapt SLR lenses to mirrorless, it doesn't work the other way around.

A significant advantage of EVFs/screens, as opposed to OVFs (optical viewfinders) are the focusing aids that are available - you have magnification, focus peaking, zebra striping, after-shot review, etc. A weakness, however, is shooting into the sun - when you have sun in the frame, it's just this giant ball taking half your field of view, so framing becomes mostly guesswork, whereas with OVFs it's much easier.

If you're shooting video, then by necessity any camera that you use is mirrorless - even if you're using a DSLR, the mirrors are locked in the open optical path position, turning the camera into a mirrorless equivalent.
Bad rumors die a slow death, much like bad habits (which can last generations.) Most probably it was the early tech that precipitated the rumor.

Thanks for the explanation.

I've been professionally shooting digitally above and underwater since 2004. (And with film before that going back to the 80s.) I've been using the Nikon Z7 above water since it came out, and I plan on getting a Z7II and a new underwater housing for it and I expect no issues. (I use the lens adapter so I can use my older Nikon lenses in addition to using them both on the mirrorless camera and DSLR.) I love the Z series!
(Also dig your avatar....)

I plan on getting a Z7II and a new underwater housing for it and I expect no issues.

Curious, other than cost, why don't you wait for the newer version(s) that should come out from Nikon, an Z7III perhaps? I hear complaints about the AF in the Z7II. (I don't have any Nikon camera right now but this is the reason I haven't bought one yet). What do you think?

Someone mentioned to me recently there may be a compatibility issue between mirrorless cameras and underwater photography but they did not recall what it was. This friend shoots DSLR. Anyone else heard this? Sounded sort of odd but I have encountered stranger things...

I have been using an Olympus EM5 mirroless camera since it came out in 2012 and it has been good. I recently won third place in an underwater photo competition in the Middle East with this very old camera. I competed against much more modern cameras. The world is moving towards mirrorless cameras now very fast.

Curious, other than cost, why don't you wait for the newer version(s) that should come out from Nikon, an Z7III perhaps? I hear complaints about the AF in the Z7II. (I don't have any Nikon camera right now but this is the reason I haven't bought one yet). What do you think?
I haven't heard any autofocus complaints from people about the Z7II. But, if Nikon comes out with a third version before I get the II, I'll certainly consider it. I love my Z7 and I use it on all kinds of dark and dirty action film and television production sets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom