missed deco stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magus

Reaction score
We have been diving in Blue Hole in Egypt last week. We did 80 meter trimix dive with the following gazes: bottom - trimix 12/54, travel - Nitrox 32 and deco - Nitrox 80. Bottom time was 11 min. The dive was planned on Z Planner and we all have VR 3 with us. After 12 meter stop our instructor unexpectedly ascended and went to the surface. He made two deep stops and 15 and 12 meters 1 minute stops. He switched for Nitrox 32 on 24 meters. In total 25 minutes of deco have been missed.

The guy was approached with oxygen for approximately 3 hrs. After surface interval of 7 hours we went back thru passages with altitude change of 600 meters. When we were passing mountain the victim breathed oxygen. Next day he got no symptoms but small itching in finger tips.

Has anybody heard similar stories and its results? I personally think that the guy is simply lucky that he didn't get to the Chamber.
:doctor:

I'm more interested in why he went to the surface than why he didn't get bent.

Even at that depth the bottom time was short and the required decompression not a lot. Depending on the ascent speed deep and how much time was spent in the descent, I'm not really surprised that he didn't get bent.

I am surprised that the instructor couldn't hold his stops though.

that was not just an Instructor. It is IANTD instructor-trainer.

The official story that he got sleep on deco stop. Drop his second stage out of the mouth and breath with salt water and as the result went to the surface.... sounds strange...but you never know

<points at the agency>

<points at the selection of gasses>

<points at the VR3s>

<doesn't think more pointing is required>

:wink:

:hiding:

Magus once bubbled...
2 O-ring:

not sure that got your comments fully...:hmmm:
LOL...I was just playing around. There are other accounts of people that "should" have gotten bent that didn't though...if I can find some I will shoot you the links.

O-ring once bubbled...
<points at the agency>

<points at the selection of gasses>

<points at the VR3s>

<doesn't think more pointing is required>

:wink:

:hiding:

LOL
80% doesn't put you to sleep.
If those gasses and a VR3 let you skip deco all together I'm gonna get me a VR3 and switch to 80%.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

LOL
80% doesn't put you to sleep.
If those gasses and a VR3 let you skip deco all together I'm gonna get me a VR3 and switch to 80%.
Actually that's a damn fine point...sure sounds like it gets me out of the water quick!

O-ring once bubbled...

Actually that's a damn fine point...sure sounds like it gets me out of the water quick!
You can get out real quick if you inflate your dry-suit and drop some lead at depth...

That sounds pretty fizzy to me.

I ran that profile on VPM-B (conservatism +2) and I would be expecting an iron pony ride if I blew it off at the point he did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom