Missed my annual inpection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnmpcny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok in December I was to have my wife and my apek travels in for yearly inspections. They were busy and we could not get them back for a trip in Jan 1st with the holiday.

Well time has gone bye and I just thought **** I never got them done. I have time as I will not be diving to our next trip.

Will they honor the service warranty? I know it states yearly check ups or lifetime warrenty is void.

Ok in December I was to have my wife and my apek travels in for yearly inspections. They were busy and we could not get them back for a trip in Jan 1st with the holiday.

Well time has gone bye and I just thought **** I never got them done. I have time as I will not be diving to our next trip.

Will they honor the service warranty? I know it states yearly check ups or lifetime warrenty is void.

You have your wife inspected with your regs? Did someone invent a robotic wife and I missed it? Or is your gear tech also an MD?

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

I suggest couv's advice to avoid what may be the single biggest cause of regulator malfunction..... service.

Seriously.... I hope you are exercising that freshly serviced gear before heading to a vacation destination. The need for an after service tweak is quite common and somtimes they are just plain messed up coming out of the shop.

Unless you have a very very enviable vacation schedule the notion of needing to do a full service on a regulator set after a year of vacation diving is the stuff dive shop dreams are made of. Some TLC and knowing what to watch can greatly extend the service interval saving you time, money and aggravation.

Pete

Losing your useless warranty is probably one of the best things that could happen. Learn to check your regulators yourself and you decide if they require service or not. See this sticky thread for a start.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

Wish I had thought to search for this today. I just got back from the LDS and had two sets serviced. My Zeagle Envoy set I had in storage for 3 years (bought new - 9 dives on it), but used in my recent refresher course. Thought to play it safe, but it was probably fine and could have gone a bunch of dives.

The other is a Scubapro MK2+/R190 set I picked up used - bummer the SPG did not work - turned out that no air is flowing through the hp port (removed the gauge and tested air - nothing). They're going to sonic clean it again. Now, thinking about it, I could have rented a tank for a lot less and tested the setup.

Lessons learned...

Oh boy, another reg service thread!
My turn.

I'm glad you violated the every year shake down scam... I mean the very necessary (according to LDS) annual service or you'll die BS.
Those sealed regs can go for several years without service IF you keep water out of the 1st stage inlet by rinsing the reg while it's hooked up and pressurized to a tank or pony bottle. Don't trust the dust cap, it called a dust cap because it keeps out dust not water.

yearly check? I do all myself. My first sets of regs, Aqualung, I bring away for service after 450 dives. No problems before, all was clean. The problems began after the inspection and service. Freeflowing.
So since then I do it all myself. I buy servicekits for my regs (aqualung, Scubapro and apeks). I just service when needed, so not every year. Last time I serviced regs was in 2012. And I do 250 dives a year. Ok, since january I dive most times ccr, but then still regs for bailout are used. Just make sure no water in first stages, and no sand in second stages. Rinse after using in salt water. Most of my dives, 95%, are freshwater dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom