Mixing Equipment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spicedparrot

Registered
Reaction score
Okay...I'm really puzzeled and need some help from the techies on here...I'm getting mixed messages depending on what day fo the week I go into my LDS...

1. I'd like to get a Scuba Pro Mk16/s555.
2. I really like what I see in the Oceanic Swivel Octo.
3. I'm selling my old set up to my buddy but want to keep my Dacor analog guages...

So...

Can I do this??? I'm thinking I can but need some confirmation.

Thanks for your time...
-spicedparrot:confused:

But be ready to take your rig to 2 different shops for annual servicing. And maybe a third shop if the gauge acts up. If you really think the mixed brand rigs is worth it, then have at it. Only a few brands use IPs that are not compatible with values in the 130 to 140 psi range. I believe Oceanic and SP are quite compatible. A recent thread under regs addressed IP spec for various mfgrs.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23311&highlight=intermediate

I have mixed and matched but I don't see any reason to buy a set up that way on purpose.

For a shop there may be some issues. If a shop takes one part from this manufacturer and another part from that manufacturer and assembles a system not designed or specified by either one does the shop then become a manufacturer? I don't really know the answer but I have heard the question bounced around.

According to European law the shop becomes manufacturer. That´s the reason why over here nearly no shop would sell you a setup like that, although many combinations work properly (but I do not know anything about the mentioned one).

spicedparrot once bubbled...
Okay...I'm really puzzeled and need some help from the techies on here...I'm getting mixed messages depending on what day fo the week I go into my LDS...

1. I'd like to get a Scuba Pro Mk16/s555.
2. I really like what I see in the Oceanic Swivel Octo.
3. I'm selling my old set up to my buddy but want to keep my Dacor analog guages...

So...

Can I do this??? I'm thinking I can but need some confirmation.

Thanks for your time...
-spicedparrot:confused:

Yes. This combination will work.

You might need to get the octo adjusted to suit the IP of the scubapro 1st but your LDS can probably do that for you.

R..

I have mixed gear on ocassion. The biggest problem I have seen is that sometimes the fitting the hose doesn't always match up with the surface of the 1st stage. This can sometimes result in the O-ring not being trapped properly and lead to leaks or outright O-ring failure.

Of course, there are also different sizes of HP and LP ports so adaptors may be needed on ocassion.

Were it me, I would just find the best set up I could where everything is the same or at least from the same company. That way, you know there will be no compatobility issues.

:)

I upgraded my kit last year.

Absolutely everyone I spoke to said don't worry too much about the gauges but I really should keep my 1st stage and 2nd stage and Octopus with the same manufacturer.

I also have some old Dacor gauges from the mid-80s, which I was prepared to change. All my LDS's said why change them if they aren't broken.

I put the money I saved on new gauges towards a new AI computer this year - so I suppose I replaced my gaugues indirectly.

My R0.02 (South African, which with the exchange rate is about £0.00125 or $0.00195)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom