MK10 Ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, now I'm at a loss. I was given to understand there was a nipple that went in one of the ambient chamber holes to prevent the boot from rotating. @Candiru is there such a nipple on your NOS boot? Is there any chance you could scan the instruction pamphlet and post it here?

TIA

Quite confusing.
I'm pretty sure there was no hole in the boot last year and the photo shows the nipple (even if it is smaller than the 'normal' one).
Also the other photos don't show a hole......

Here ya go. See bullet point 10. Also I probably could be convinced to part with this treasure. 425CC704-43A8-42A2-B905-6BD21D5B0FFB.jpeg425CC704-43A8-42A2-B905-6BD21D5B0FFB.jpegE4E0EE56-05F9-4832-93F0-8716B4E82C08.jpeg97C778BC-CB64-4111-B9CA-75F1A27B15DB.jpeg

The function of the small hole to prevent imbalance of IP from trapped air in the spring chamber. As a youth I was told to rub the grease that came out on the chrome. Every year I would get a new spec ring installed. I wonder how many of these got thrown out at the dive shop.

Very interesting indeed and sorry to say a bad idea to have a hole. I wonder if this was a modification to later SPEC systems as I do not remember any other SP boots (not trim boots) having holes.

I’ve always considered the MK 10 a transitional reg, the MK 15 a mistake as often happens with evolution, the spec boot being an evolving concept to protect the important elements inside and protect from the external elements, it’s hard to make change happen inside a large company. The people who started Atomic took the concept and perfected it and in my opinion perfected the piston regulator concept, the MK 20/25 have some good points but I find no advantage over Atomic first stages.

I now have a spec booted MK 20 but for sealing it’s hard to beat a sealed diaphragm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom