mk17 S600 adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
hope i can describe this so that it makes sense..
i have a SP mk17 1st stage..
i have an S600 2nd stage..
i adjusted the orifice so that the 600 free flows (hisses slightly) when wide open..
i did this adjustment on a full tank 3400 psi..
just for the heck of it i hooked up my regs to a tank with 600 psi..
the free flow is much much greater at 600 psi then when hooked up to the 3400 psi tank..
i went back and forth, same happened every time..
why is that ???

The MK17 is not completely balanced. The IP rises a few psi as cylinder pressure drops. Expected behavior. If you’re going to tune your own regs, I’d recommend at the very least reading the first stage service manual.

With a MK17 or MK11 the IP will be higher with a lower supply pressure. In my experience it is generally around 10 psi difference. By the book both should still fall somewhere between 125-145 psi. I typically adjust A MK17 to 140 with a 500 psi tank and it ends up around 130 at 3000 psi.

What they said ^^^ The important takeaway is to adjust the second stage to the highest IP. Some regulators (like your MK17) have a higher IP at low supply pressure. Time to invest in an IP gauge.

A MK17 can swing as much and even a tad more than 15psi full to 500psi. As others have said tune your second stage when tank is at low pressure not full.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom