MK17 U.S. Release Date???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gillty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anybody know when we can get our hands on the new MK17 first stage from Scubapro? If they are already out in Europe they must be ready to go. Are they just trying to get rid of all of the MK16's or what?

Do you gurus out there think this is the reg that can finally compete with the Apeks lineup in cold water?

I also heard that Scubapro was going to release another balanced second stage with a metal air barrel in the U.S. anyone heard anything about this? Could this be basically the S600 Classic dressed up a little differently for U.S. market?

You gotta love Scuba industry gossip, it's much better than reading the tabloids...

Gillty

Yeah, when I go to ScubaPro's U.S. website, the Mk16 is still listed. No mention of a Mk17.

I was looking at the new Mk17 at my LDS on Sunday. They said they just got them in, so they're here.

According to the LDS, the Mk 16 was officially discontinued in the US on July 25th (which means remaining Mk 16's should be eligible for clearance discounts in excess of the normal 10%, especially now that Mk 17's are shipping)

Yoke equipped Mk 17's are available and are shipping to US shops, although I have noticed that my DIN configured Mk 17's are on back order - hopefully not for long.

We dove a Mk 17 locally and it performed well at depth in low 40 degree water temps. I am hard to impress, but was impressed enough to immediately decide to switch from my time tested Mk 20's.

It is similar to the Mk 16 in size and general layout but offers an HP port on each side which will let you point either side down when configuring it for doubles or let you point either end up when configuring for singles.

In my opinion, the sealed ambient chamber addresses the only advantage Apeks could ever legitamtely claim to have over a Scubapro reg.

DA Aquamaster:
It is similar to the Mk 16 in size and general layout but offers an HP port on each side which will let you point either side down when configuring it for doubles or let you point either end up when configuring for singles.

In my opinion, the sealed ambient chamber addresses the only advantage Apeks could ever legitamtely claim to have over a Scubapro reg.

Hey DA, if cold water or the extra HP point aren't issues, would the Mk17's benefits greatly outweigh those of the Mk16's? I'm looking at this from a long-term maintenance (or lack therof) perspective.

Will the MK 17 hp seat be the same as the MK 16 or in other words will the kits be the same? Or are the only improvements in terms of the sealed chamber and now having two ports? I thought I read somewhere that the 17 has a higher flow rate can someone confirm this?

Gillty

Scubapro's UK site suggests a much higher flow rate for the Mk 17 as well as a new "safety seat guiding system" and "low profile high pressure orifice"

"The unrivalled flow rates of the MK17 put it in a class of its own with safety seat guiding system and low profile, high pressure orifice, provide air flow never seen before in a diaphragm regulator."

So I am not sure on parts kit inter-changeability with the Mk 16.

SP's US site is really pretty much worthless and is seldom updated.

Back
Top Bottom