MK25 bubbles from turret swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rthorntn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I love what's going on in this sub-forum!

I would like to start servicing my S600, probably not ready to service the MK25 yet (from what i've read here it's a little complicated), should I take a peak inside (I have the scubapro multifunction reg repair tool)?

I have had the MK25 for a decade, it was serviced a month ago but...

Last week I bashed the MK25 on some rocks, it was a decent bump with the weight of the tank behind it, it gouged it a bit and ripped a bit of rubber on the inflator hose, so it has had a bump to the turret.

I have had 3 dives on it since the incident, it's performing well.

To clean my regs, I submerge them (pressurised) in a tub of fresh water, today I noticed some tiny bubbles coming from the area where the turret swivels, more specifically the bubbles appear to be coming from one side (one half, 180°) of the turret swivel join, I'm pretty sure the bubbles were happening for the 10 mins the regs were submerged, I didn't notice it after the last dive so it must be degrading, again from reading here maybe I damaged an o-ring/washer or maybe the damage is superficial and the servicing has caused an issue?

I'm based in Sydney, so repair/servicing costs are generally quite high, what should I do, any further troubleshooting, open it up, if I should shop around the local dive stores for quotes, it would be great to sound like I know what I'm talking about and I have a clue about the time and material cost to fix it, if you guys think it could be servicing related I could take it back to that store?

Thanks.

Richard

Last edited:
The turret top is joined by a bolt with an O-ring to seal it. It's pretty sturdy but sounds like it might have gotten a hard hit. The O-ring could have taken damage, but I think it more likely either the main body or the turret did. The O-ring is 'soft' so would likely just 'bounce' with the impact. The only way to know is take it apart. The bolt is inside the intermediate pressure chamber above the piston head so you are going to have to take the body top off, pull the bolt, and inspect the swivel area. No way around it I see.

Thanks fmerkel!

I was going to get the Mk 20/25 assembly tool & piston bullet from scubatools but its $42 delivery on $25 worth of goods, anyone know another place to get them? inline adjustment tool & first stage body tool ordered from DGX, any recommendations on a good enough torque wrench that doesn't cost the earth, preferably easy to get in Australia?

Thanks all.

Check ebay for your area. Have seen tools occasionally there. FWIW. the MK25 is actually easier to service then the s600.

You can use normal tools with one specialty tool, To unscrew the top I use a bike bottom bracket tool.
XLC Adjustable Bottom Bracket Spanner

You don't HAVE to have a bullet tool. I didn't use one for years. You do have to lube well and push the piston back in gently. If you are lucky and careful the piston may stay in place, not come out when you take the piston chamber off and you can just clean things up, lube it, and put it back on. But, you can't depend on it. FWIW, I think if something is damaged it's going to be the piston chamber where the O-ring is installed, not the turret itself.
The turret only needs an allen wrench to take apart.

I was going to get the Mk 20/25 assembly tool & piston bullet from scubatools but its $42 delivery on $25 worth of goods, anyone know another place to get them?

Have a look at Scuba Clinic. I have purchased a few things from them given Scubatools high postage costs. But if you need a number of tools then Scubatools is good.
When you say "first stage body tool" do you mean pin spanner?

Scubapro special tools

Bushing Tool for Scubapro MK25
Piston Bullet
Yoke Nut Socket 1"
6 mm Hex Socket 3/8" Drive, Long 100 mm

Intermediate Pressure Gauge
Brass O-Ring Pick Set - 3 pcs
O-ring Pick Set, Stainless Steel
First Stage Holder, T-Type

You can get a toque wrench from the local took store or of eBay. You may also need a set of 'crows feet' and alan key sockets as many of the fastenings don't take standard sockets.
A vice is also a good investment. The first-stage-holder can be help in the vice making it easy to work on the reg.

Do you have access to parts, and to service kits. One of my LDSs is a Scubapro dealer and they will supply parts (but the parts are expensive). From what they have told me they are permitted to supply parts but not to supply service kits :/

With respect to the damage, the o-ring in the turret is well protected so I would not suspect it, unless some grit has been lodged in there. If you remove the body, this will also remove the piston. You can re-insert the piston without dismantle the seat end, BUT, there is a good chance you will nick the piston o-ring and it will fail at some time possibly not strait away.

Could the leak be from the where the 'damaged' hose connects, possibly bent and the o-ring not sealing?

I would like to start servicing my S600, probably not ready to service the MK25 yet (from what i've read here it's a little complicated), should I take a peak inside (I have the scubapro multifunction reg repair tool)?

I think the MK25 is easier to service than the S600, but neither is difficult.

I use Tbar's list plus two torque wrenches on my MK20. You can get by without or DIY most of the tools on the list but going over to the dark side can get expensive in the short run.

t
IMG_3452.JPG

Hopefully the impact didn't damage the turret bolt, whose failure mid-dive would be rather 'exciting' so to speak.

You don't need the piston bullet for the Mk25

Thanks everyone, I will do some tinkering!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom