Mk2i with a small scratch, safe for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CescGV

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently got this Garmin descent mk2i, wihch I use both for diving and day to day use. Because I am not used to wear a watch, my brain does not really calculate well the distances, and today morning I bumped into a door handle with my watch, which now has a small scratch in the middle. I think that it is quite shallow and does not affect the sapphire part, but I wonder whether it is safe to dive with it (my dives ar not deeper than 45 meters). Any thoughts on that? I attach a picture!

Attachments

• photo1715071577.jpeg
    photo1715071577.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 50
Definitely hard to see the scratch. I wouldn't think it would affect anything.

I was also thinking that you must have really hit it pretty hard to scratch it. I've bumped my MK2s into many different things. The bezel has some scuffing, but the glass is still pristine. It's pretty tough to scratch the actual glass.

You mentioned that you got this recently. So, I'm assuming you bought it used. Any chance there's a film protector over the glass? Those can scratch easier. I used to use those, but haven't for the past year or so. The covers got scratched frequently, but the sapphire glass is highly scratch resistant.

Definitely hard to see the scratch. I wouldn't think it would affect anything.

I was also thinking that you must have really hit it pretty hard to scratch it. I've bumped my MK2s into many different things. The bezel has some scuffing, but the glass is still pristine. It's pretty tough to scratch the actual glass.

You mentioned that you got this recently. So, I'm assuming you bought it used. Any chance there's a film protector over the glass? Those can scratch easier. I used to use those, but haven't for the past year or so. The covers got scratched frequently, but the sapphire glass is highly scratch resistant.
You mean like a plastic film layer?

You mean like a plastic film layer?
Yes. Exactly. A plastic film. I don't believe any working glass screen protectors exist. I previously found some on Amazon, but they don't work as the actual screen on the watch is curved.

The film can be difficult to see. Especially if it was applied well. You may just be able to catch a fingernail on the edge if one is applied.

Back
Top Bottom