MO/AR border: Show me the fish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This summer we've been exploring the lakes along the White River -- Beaver Lake and Bull Shoals in Arkansas and Table Rock Lake in Missouri. We had some visibility issues due to rainfall, but overall it was quite nice.
However, I was disappointed in the lack of fish. I'm used to the "perchacuda" in Tenkiller Lake (Gore, OK) who are literally in-your-face friendly. Green sunfish follow us, looking for a handout. Catfish spook up from the bottom.

At the MO/AR lakes we only saw a few fingerling bass and the back end of some sunfish, while my in-laws caught one catfish.
One thing I did see -- crawdads in Table Rock Lake. My first night dive was fascinating! We saw one with "take-out" -- half a perch used for bait. Others were scooting around or eating fish eggs deposited earlier that day. Awesome!

Is there something I'm missing? Some time of day or location to find the interesting wildlife? It's weird to finally have good visibility (we've only dove in Oklahoma before this) and yet only see brush, branches and rocks.

I dont have much experience with other lakes but Beaver is kinda dead. I usually dive the bluffs up near the dam. Catfish and other large gamefish are usually in the woody/nasty part of the lake. As far as bluegill, perch and so on it all depends where you dive at. If you are hitting the flats you will not see anything. Seems most of the fish are at the dropoffs and like to hang around big rocks for cover. I am usually spearfishing so they get out of my way. On the times that I am not hunting I have literally been mobbed by schools of perch. I mean HUGE schools, all of them trying to take chunks out of my side. As far as bass Beaver is well stocked. No hunting for large,small and spotted bass so they are everywhere and dont pay you any mind.

The greatest concentration of fish in Table Rock and Bull Shoals is just above the first thermocline, usually about 15-18 ft. deep where the water is warm.

I must confess, though, that I also really enjoy diving through the branches and trees, and looking at the rocks and wall formations. Very pretty down deep--the silt covering everything sorta looks like a blanket of snow, and the viz is so clear below 60 ft. or so.

Those night dives populated by dozens and dozens of crawfish are fun, too.

theskull

Just got back from Table Rock...first time I have ever dove there. I did my deep diver cert, and I agree...hardly any fish at all to speak of. As mentioned above, once you get below about 45 or 50 foot, it just opens up and is really cool down there.

I went to Table Rock 9 years ago. We anchored off of some of the cliffs, and I only saw 1 fish. But, as others have noted, the crawfish are cool at night.

I would love to find someone with a boat at table rock, and check out some of the other places the lake has to offer.

diverbob:
I would love to find someone with a boat at table rock, and check out some of the other places the lake has to offer.

State Park Dive Shop, 380 State Park Marina Rd., P. O. Box 6438, Branson, MO 65615
(888) 993-2628 or http://boatbranson.com/

Boats for rent, or even better unless you already know the good spots, book a spot on the dive shop's boat and let them take you to the good spots. Ask for Diver Dick or SCUBA SLIM.

theskull

Trisha,

I have dove all three likes quite a bit, the fish are definitely there but not everywhere as you found out. My suggestion would be to contact a dive shop at the local marinas and ask them for good fish veiwing locations. I saw a cat that went approximately 35 lbs earlier this summer at Bull Shoals along with other smaller (yet good size) cats and bass at all three lakes, I also frequently see the friendly in-your-face perch/sunfish that like to nip at you! I have some dive shop and marina contact information if you would like it.

Good Diving,
Mike

I dont know if there will be time for it this year, but maybe one of these days we should have a Midwest Muck Divers dive party down there, and rent one of the boats and do some diving.

diverbob:
I dont know if there will be time for it this year, but maybe one of these days we should have a Midwest Muck Divers dive party down there, and rent one of the boats and do some diving.

I think that sounds like a great idea! There is still plenty of diving left this year as far as I'm concerned, but if everyone feels it is too late to get it organized for this year there is already an annual event going on there in September, "Project Aware"! I participated last year for the first time and had a really good time, plus, it's a good cause! I think there were around 250+ divers that participated last year. Rock Lane Resort offers a special rate of $99 for two people, two nights accomodations at the resort and they have dive boats that take everyone out and supply all your air. They also serve a free lunch Saturday and Sunday, and have a party Saturday night with drawings for prizes (they may have a party Friday night too, I'm not sure), free T-shirts, etc. If anyone would like more information, visit http://scuba-sports.com/aware.htm.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom