Moalboal vs Anilao or PG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSR-3

Contributor
Reaction score
Posted in General Asia, but as I've narrowed my focus to PI, re-posting here. Thanks for any feedback!

What are opinions on Moalboal vs Anilao or PG?
Diving is important- topside activities, luxury, cost, etc. are not, but getting there and back pretty easily is too as my window is only 1 week. I would like a variety of dive sites/types, but critters are key. My trip keeps getting pushed, but I'm determined!

With Moalboal you'll waste a day to 1 1/2 days getting there...so 2-3 days wasted just on travel. Anilao/PG you can arrive in Manila in the morning and be diving in the afternoon. Anilao is the "critter" capirol of the Philippines but not much to do topside. PG has a nice mix of diving, beaches, and nitelife...more of a mix but can be crowded and hectic. Anilao is more relaxed.

I loved both PG and Anilao. If I had to pick one over the other I'd pick PG. Upgrade a few days to go to Verde Island.

After much research, I landed on PG for myself. Headed there for 11 days the beginning of April. I decided I only wanted to go to one place and settle in and I wanted to hit a place that was relatively easy to get to and offered a bit more dive variety (not just muck and macro) and some topside variety as well.

I booked through Bluewater Dive Travel, so I could pay in dollars, use my credit card for points and they facilitate everything at no extra cost. I will be staying at El Galleon and diving with the on site dive op Asia Divers. They will have someone at the Manila airport to pick me up upon arrival, transport me by vehicle to Batangas and then shuttle me over to the resort on their high speed boat. Super easy. If interested, check out this link: Puerto Galera

Thanks.
With Moalboal you'll waste a day to 1 1/2 days getting there...so 2-3 days wasted just on travel.
I was assuming that from Cebu airport it was about like getting to Anilao from MNL- am I missing something? It looks like I can fly in/out of CEB as easily as MNL.
I should have noted that I've been to Anilao 2x (with BWT), liked it very much, and enjoyed some great "reef" dives along with the awesome critters. One concern I have about PG is the comments on crowds, as I really don't like diving in crowded conditions.
The location in Moalboal being suggested is Magic Island Resort Cebu- any opinions on it?

Thanks.
I was assuming that from Cebu airport it was about like getting to Anilao from MNL- am I missing something? It looks like I can fly in/out of CEB as easily as MNL.
I should have noted that I've been to Anilao 2x (with BWT), liked it very much, and enjoyed some great "reef" dives along with the awesome critters. One concern I have about PG is the comments on crowds, as I really don't like diving in crowded conditions.
The location in Moalboal being suggested is Magic Island Resort Cebu- any opinions on it?

The crowds in PG are on land. We never saw other groups on the dive sites or underwater.

Thanks.

As Reef Hound says, the crowds at PG are mostly above water...picture hordes of Korean tourists at the beach and the men picking up local girls in the clubs at nite. There may be a few other duvers at popular sites but usually not many.

As for Moalboal, if you fly directly to Cebu, it's a 2-4 hour drive to there. If from Manila, depending on arrival time and onward flights, it could take up to a day and a half to reach Moalboal.

PG has a real nice mix of interesting and varied sites, as well as a cool topside vibe. If you haven't been there, I would probably recommend it over Moalboal.

Getting to PG on public transfer is never been so DIFFICULT nowadays!!!
Some dive sites eg, canyons, can be quite crowded because of its reputation.

How about Malapascua instead? But the crowd at Monad Shoal for the thresher shark could be an issue!!

Getting to PG on public transfer is never been so DIFFICULT nowadays!!!
Some dive sites eg, canyons, can be quite crowded because of its reputation.

How about Malapascua instead? But the crowd at Monad Shoal for the thresher shark could be an issue!!
Really...aren't there public busses to Batangas and from Batangas pier it's just a short banka ride to Sabang Beach.

Really...aren't there public busses to Batangas and from Batangas pier it's just a short banka ride to Sabang Beach.
The first part is the same ie. bus ride to Batangas.
But banca is NO longer allowed to ferry passenger unless it is privately chartered.
The best options : Roll roll to Balatero or fast craft to Calapan and then at least 1hr overland by van/jeepney. The Marine Dept is trying very hard to discourage travllers and the local to cross the channel.
If you have seen the 2-3 boats that are used to ferry passengers between Sabang(Mulle) and Batangas you will understand my suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom