Mobile phone coverage in the Komodo area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeaDLocK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning a week-long LOB trip for the Komodo area at the end of June. My work is such that if possible, I need to stay connected to check e-mail occasionally or be reachable in the event of emergency.

Can anyone weigh in on whether there is GSM coverage in the Komodo archipelago?

Thanks.

Hi DeaDLock,

of course I can't comment on all areas of the Komodo Area but as a general rule of thumb the mobile phone coverage in Indonesia is pretty good around the cities. If you're away from land or maybe even main roads you will have problems recieving a signal. Maybe GSM Coverage Maps ~ GSM World can help you?

Internet is, apart of big cities and Bali, usually still really slow. In some areas you can be happy if you have a "speed" of 56k/s (normal modem speed)!

Regarding costs I wouls suggest you buy an indonesian SIM Card with an indonesian phone number (I can recommend Telkomsel). Like this people can reach you but you don't have to pay roaming costs which can be really expansive (at least if you have a german mobile phone and number). You get these cards basically everywhere without any problem and can recharge them as well. As you only want to stay short time and don't plan to make hour-long international calls 50.000 to 100.000 IDR should be more than enough!
For international calls there is another indonesian provider (Indosat??) which have good offers regarding cost per minute.

HTH,

Andy

Cell service near Bima, but as I recall, not in Komodo park. Need to be near populated area.

You should have cell coverage in Most of LabuanBajo (some areas have weak signals or blank spots) and in most of the northern part of the park.

Nothing in the South

My advice is : Life is short, don't shorten it mor by working on your vacation. If you are traveling with a friend or significant other enjoy the week together without interuptions, the work will be there when you get back. For emergencies most boats have a Sat phone.

Back
Top Bottom