Land-Based options for Alor (or 'nearby')

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm doing a Komodo LOB in mid-June 2023 and plan to stay a while after for more land-based diving. I've not done a lot around Alor so figure that would be a good base. We did a Komodo LOB ~10yrs ago, and twice been on LOB in Raja. I prefer Raja but our schedule means we are going in June. Looking at 1-2wks with a friend and then maybe I'll stay solo longer to dive a different area for a week or so. Since all the LOB's seem to stick to Komodo this would be land based.

Looking for mid-range budget. We are both experienced divers (400+) and have the DIVE DIVE DIVE mentality. Our LOB will only be 6N ~15 dives so we are going to eager to blow some bubbles.

Looking mostly at Alor as I think the area is diverse enough for over a week+ from one 'base', tho depending on options we could possibly check out two areas and I would like a 3rd place for myself (somewhere without a big supplement). I've also been to Bunaken, Lembeh, and Bali based diving a couple times so prefer to check out the farther east "non-Raja" places a bit more.

Thanks!

Bumping this as I have decided Alor is the place to be... might do some more but at least will go there. And I should be arriving at the end of May. Unfortunately Alor Divers is booked - what is the next-best-thing? In some plans I could go there after our Komodo LOB, but diving Alor first works into the plans better.

Thanks!

Alami is a good place to dive from. Alor Divers dives mostly in the straight and goes into the bay for muck diving once a week (so they tell me). Alami goes pretty regularly across the bay for muck. The schedule was mostly 2 dives in the morning out in the straight and then either an additional dive in the afternoon in the straight or a muck dive across the bay depending on what people wanted to do.

Not sure if it meets your mid-range budget criteria however.

Some friends are diving with Alami next month, but unfortunatly it is out of our budget. I think the others are all MUCH less, but it's not really clear which ones survived Pandemic. I've been trying to get hold of
"Dive Alor Dive" with Donovan, but not heard anything.

I think Air Dive Alor is considered fairly decent, tho more budget. The cost of Alor Divers (~$200 USD/day for AI with 2 dives) is about our budget. Alami is 2X that.v

Some friends are diving with Alami next month, but unfortunatly it is out of our budget. I think the others are all MUCH less, but it's not really clear which ones survived Pandemic. I've been trying to get hold of
"Dive Alor Dive" with Donovan, but not heard anything.

I think Air Dive Alor is considered fairly decent, tho more budget. The cost of Alor Divers (~$200 USD/day for AI with 2 dives) is about our budget. Alami is 2X that.v

Never been there and for what I found is new.… nautika dive alor.. only a suggestion, I don’t know them.. but the rooms are nice and the location seems good… 😅

Dive Alor Dive organizes operations from Kupang only when they have sufficient bookings apparently.
La ptite Kepa has been closed for a while, will they open this year?
You can also checkout Lazy Turtle as well they are on premise : Dive Alor | Lazy Turtle Dive Alor | Indonesia

Thanks
You can also check out La Petite Kepa, its on the budget scale
Mike! Glad to see you still on this board. I stayed at NAD years ago when you were there. I think I used your camera for the week. Still some of my best shots ever. I did see La Petite in my research. I'll check them out and see if they are still open. They say open April 1 but maybe not for diving.

Thanks for that info Luko!
Anyone have opinion on Air Dive Alor vs Lazy Turtle? Nautika seems to get good reviews, Similar pricing to Lazy Turtle, with Air Dive Alor being more economical. All 3 are very close to each other. Price for all is fine - <$200/day is fine. Hot showers, flush toilets, great food & guides... low skeeter situation... that's what we hope for. Don't need to be pampered.

Do any of the other places offer shore diving? I have not seen that they do - only Alor Eco. If I had to pick another place now it would probably be Nautika. But maybe I switch my travels to go to Alor after Komodo so I can go to Alor Eco - and dive somewhere else first (Sangalaki or Maratua or maybe just around Bali).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom