Mobula Rays night dive/snorkel at La Paz - what time of year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to see the mobula rays during a night dive/snorkel at La Paz. Is that still available in November and what are my odds during that month?

Thanks.

Howdy!

Mobula ray seson normally starts around April and they gather in big numbers until July. The mobulas do linger in the area for several more months, and we kept seeing them in Loreto until the last months of the year, but in lesser amounts.

I wouldn't say that November is a good month for it, although there is a possibility and I recall seeing some big groups in October. But most likely the odds are not gonna be in your favor.

Hope this helps.

Howdy!

Mobula ray seson normally starts around April and they gather in big numbers until July. The mobulas do linger in the area for several more months, and we kept seeing them in Loreto until the last months of the year, but in lesser amounts.

I wouldn't say that November is a good month for it, although there is a possibility and I recall seeing some big groups in October. But most likely the odds are not gonna be in your favor.

Hope this helps.
What would be the chance to see mobulas in July? Thanks.

We had lots of mobulas during a Bahia de los Angeles (Baja side of the gulf west of the Midriff Islands) trip during late-July/early-August last year, but they were really skittish. When we would attempt to enter the water with them they would leave. Our efforts to use stealthy entries didn't even work. (LOL)

There is a location out of La Paz where they do a night mobula dive. I believe it involves using a base camp out on one of the islands near La Paz.

-AZTinman

What would be the chance to see mobulas in July? Thanks.

July is a really good month to spot them. I'd say your chances are high. We are already seeing them in Loreto and it's been great so far. Mobulas tend to stay until October, but their numbers decrease slowly after July-August.

We have uploaded a nice video of the mobulas in Loreto, just a couple of days ago. Check our facebook page to see it Blue Nation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom