Modifying BCD - Bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Mares Dragonfly Airtrim BCD which I got on Ebay for a really good price. It uses wing and jacket inflation. I'd like to add a D ring to the back of the jacket but was concerned whether this might cause a leak either when sewing it on or later due to stress. The D ring would be used to support a crotch strap to help prevent the BCD from riding up.

Any thoughts on alternate ways to attach the strap in the back?

As long as you stay away from the air bladder you'll be fine.

Quarrior:
As long as you stay away from the air bladder you'll be fine.

My concern is that on the jacket section there is no separate internal bladder; it's integrated with the outer shell.

Sirto:
My concern is that on the jacket section there is no separate internal bladder; it's integrated with the outer shell.
Exactly. That generally leaves little space to put additional things like D rings and such. Normally you have to attach them to the strap and that's about it. That is also why I chose a rear inflate BC style, amongst other reasons.

Can you do it some other way where the D ring is on a strap or web that is anchored to something more solid?

You could thread a piece of webbing with your D-ring through the bottom of the backplate and avoid sewing/gluing the bladder altogether.

Where do you intend to connect the front of the crotchstrap?

Well, I went ahead and installed the crotch strap. I found a luggage strap in the store that had most of the parts I needed to make the strap (2" webbing, clip and buckle) for $4. I added a second buckle and a D ring. I (actually my wife) sewed a short piece of webbing with a D ring to the back of the wing being careful to stay as far away as possible from the bladder. Checked it afterwards and it didn't leak. We then made a short loop with 1/2 of the clip. This slips over the waist strap. The other half of the clip went on the long piece of webbing along with the two buckles. The webbing is threaded through the D ring and the web length is grossly adjusted with one one the buckles (which is located close to the D ring) and the fine length adjustment is made with the other buckle which is located at the front just below the clip. The design is the same as the DiveRite strap.

It all looks good. I'll be trying it out over the next two weeks in Roatan! I'm leaving tomorrow!!!! :sunny

Sirto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom