Modular Evolution or not so much

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been interested in the evolution and the Meg's but I really prefer the evolution since it is such a nice compact otta the box package but thats also what bothers me about it. Although a very well engineered system it seems know one has modified one to fit a traditional BP/W. I know that the evo's are pretty much built to order so I figured a person could request a different mounting system but I have yet to see it. Does anybody know if its possible to mount an evolution on a conventional BP/W like you can with a meg. Thanks

Tobin has just what you're looking for at:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=110

Works great, and it allows mounting a standard 11 inch backplate, normal continuous harness, etc. While you're there, you'll find the "under counterlung" D-rings to be essential for the two shoulder d-ring positions. Makes slinging bottles a LOT easier with OTS counterlungs.

Most serious divers with the unit that I know give up on the stock harness and move to a backplate eventually... For the price they charge, you'd think APD could either leave it naked like the KISS or Meg, or put a decent harness and wing on it; sadly, it's as if their design is almost an afterthought on those parts compared to the talent they invested in the electronics and head.

Im trying to put a Rebreather demo day with the Evolutions and Inspirations together this summer at Haigh Quarry in IL....Should be about 6-10 rebreathers for people to try if you wanted to test drive one :D I should have more info over the next couple weeks....Bringing in a guy from your neck of the woods Northwoodsdiver.......:wink:

having dove the evolution for a year, I sold it because my wife's had lots of electronics problems, and that was with no tinkering or modifications. To achieve the level of true electronic redundancy I was comfortable with, to allow for a variety of tank sizes available when traveling, any modifications to the harness, removing the cowling and replacing with a travel frame... etc, it got to the point where purchasing a copis meg and practically starting from scratch became the easier and less expensive option.

If I were to get the evolution today, I'd at least add a forth cell monitor (a shearwater pursuit), and make it so that if the vision controller failed on a remote trip I'd be able to abort the dive and once back on the surface plug the shearwater into three cells and run the rig manually for the rest of the trip. A significant failure on a vision invariably means a trip back to the factory, and that can mean not just a lost dive on a trip, but an entire lost trip (for us it was two major trips in a row that were nearly ruined) if you don't have a back up for three cells. One of the main reason's I have reverted to a manual system is that they are more field serviceable and a lot more modular. the new hybird HH give you more options in case of a fialure if you really think you need a set point controller...You get two independent handsets and the ability to switch back and forth from e-mCCR.

The vision was a dream to dive, but I really had to work hard to keep paying enough attention to catch that one in a million failure in time.

If you are looking for modularity, the evolution is one of the least modular of rebreathers I've looked at. If you like it the way it is, it's has the best eCCR controller on the market, and the temp stick is a very nice tool... IMHO.

Northwood,
Another area to check is rebreatherworld.com then search on " travel frame" There are several alternatives being offered. I really like my inspiration, and when I look ahead at my next RB, when my wife asks ok, which RB are you selling to pay for a new one, the last one on my list to sell is my inspiration. That said, there are several good systems out there. If you like a particular unit but it does not fit your dive plans, then you might want to re-evaluate your selection criteria. While I dive a BP&W Open circuit, and I really like a clean rig, and I'll admit the Inspiration/evolution is really cluttered for my taste, at times it has frustrated me. But after nearly two years of diving it and having dove and owned other units I still am most comfortable in my inspiration.

Good luck,

I have always been impressed by the head and electronics on the evolution/inspiration systems and have an instructor who comes to the area every year which is super nice but the cluttered mess in the chest makes both systems seem like a waist. If I could retain the original system and change everything else I would but at the same time I dont need to change the tank size or scrubber and the cover makes things look clean and well protected. It really comes down to the wing, plate, and harness which should be a totally available thing considering the evos are built to order. When the buddies get theirs I am gonna see if I cant come up with a different remounting system, its worth investigating. Thanks for the pointers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom