BP/W for an 11 year old.... did I make a mistake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined

Quite Refined
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let me start with saying I dive BP/W and I do not consider BP/W to ever be a mistake. With that being said, I'm second guessing every choice I made when buying my son's gear.

For a 5ft tall, 120 pound, muscular frame (built like a running back) adolescent male, did I make the right choice buying a Halcyon Infinity system with the short stainless steel plate?

I know as he grows I will eventually replace the plate with a standard size (genetics preclude him from ever needing the tall version), but I went back and forth on getting the steel short or AL short.

With no exposure protection and a rental BCD, he dives with 6 pounds of lead. With a very well used 7mm Pinnacle Cruiser (that is older than he is), he uses 10 pounds of lead. This has lead to much consternation for me, as I know the short SS backplate is 4lbs negative, and the unweighted STA is about 2lbs (I bought the weight insert, but don't intend to use it unless needed). So right off the bat we're close. I don't know how much the backpad and shoulder pads are positive.... maybe a pound or two?

Should I have gone with the AL backplate so we could dial it in with lead in the ACB, or should I stop fretting over it?

You don't have to remind me that there are other options on the market. I've been waiting to buy him his first "H" rig since I saw his first sonogram. I just hope I got the right one for him.

Hopefully he'll learn to pick out his own gear....

With you on this - our son has been on an Infinity rig since he was 12, now nearly 17. It’s been great, just switched him from AL to steel when he started using weights. Replaced the webbing once as he got bigger. Still way ahead of buying multiple traditional BC’s in different sizes.

Enjoy your time diving as a family!

Lance

Depends on what kind of tank he is using and exposure protection. I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to put my young son in a rig that was negative and did not incorporate some ditchable lead.

Depends on what kind of tank he is using and exposure protection. I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to put my young son in a rig that was negative and did not incorporate some ditchable lead.

He’s good, Infinity system comes with ACB quick release weight pockets. No vector math needed.

Lance

He's built like a running back as you said. Sounds like he's capable/strong enough to dive a balanced rig.

You could save 1.5lbs by using an aluminum STA. This one comes in colors:

Use this and insist he use at least a 3mm shorty and he should be 4 to 6 pounds positive. That's enough.

Back
Top Bottom