Newbie diver here - what do the options mean on the DGX BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you need a lot of weight to sink for whatever reason (thick neoprene, drysuit, etc.), I think the DUI weight harness is nice. I finally spent the money on it -- much more comfortable than a weight belt, though it seems pricey for what it is. Of course, putting the weight pockets on the backplate harness itself is nice since you don't have the extra buckle and shoulder straps of the separate weight harness --- but if you think you are ever going to need your setup to float without you in it, do the math and make sure it will if all the weight is on the backplate harness.

For strictly single tank diving, sometimes I think a jacket BC with built in trim and weight pockets is not such a bad option. Of course, it does take a lot longer to dry off than a metal plate and a wing, and the backplate and wing are more adaptable over the longer term. If you really, really get into diving, you will probably wind up with a backplate eventually anyway.

If you get the new silicone MAKO belt and use hard weights, you don't need the pockets. Hard weights do not slide on it once you put them on and tighten the belt. They stay where you put them. I do not advise this, but when Dano sent me my belt to test and review before they started selling them, I put 20 lbs on the belt and picked it up by the buckle. Nothing moved. Do that with a nylon belt without keepers or twisting it and your floor and maybe toes will not be happy.
And you can't beat their replacement policy if you do have to ditch the belt. I've been using MAKO belts for over 12 years and don't recommend anything else to divers.

I used to dive with no STA and 1-2 lbs of lead, but then I added a steel STA and now I don't need any extra lead weight (assuming my standard exposure protection in tropical water). The steel backplate plus the steel STA (1.5lbs) just happen to be the perfect amount of weight. Even if you need more weight than I do, it still means less lead, and another 1.5lbs evenly distributed all along the spine. Also: without an STA, the tank bands typically go through vertical slots in the wing, hence they make a short loop behind the wing. With the STA, the tank bands are completely in front of the wing, hence slightly closer to the tank, and hence you get slightly more length of the band around the tank and more of the velcro is engaged.

If you are handy, skip the 2-inch crotch strap and instead purchase a couple of 2-inch D-rings and metal tri glides, then go to a pick and pull and get some seatbelt webbing to use as a crotch strap .The seatbelt webbing is more supple and will be more comfortable.....it will also wear less on your suit between your legs.

-Z
Zef, thats brilliant, im gonna have to give that a try. How does the polyester seat belt hold up long term vs the nylon straps? Id assume the polyester is less prone to sun damage, im curious if its also more resistant to saltwater.

I'm assuming some of these decisions don't matter that much (shoulder pads, crotch strap width), but some are likely important (weight pockets, STA/tank straps).
I think trim pouches are a good idea, help you get the most out of your setup, but unless you are dead set on weight pouches, a belt will do you just fine for now. If you want to add pouches later, thats the beauty of it, you can.

I'm probably overweighted since I'm still a newbie, but maybe not by a ton - a more experienced diver I was with dove a similar set of kit with 22 lbs. As a result, I think I will be going with the steel backplate rather than AL
As for steel vs aluminum, also think about if you are going to travel with this setup. Obviously the steel is awesome for weight distribution and trim, and takes off some of the lead you will wear, so if you are diving cold water locally id go steel all day. but if you want to travel and are trying to cut some weight out of your bag you could consider aluminum

Granted the difference between those two is only 3 lbs (6% of the 50 lb checked baggage limit) but still, something to think about!

And if you wanted you could also just buy an aluminum plate later for travel when you plan a trip. (Again thats the beauty of a bpw)

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your new setup!

If you are handy, skip the 2-inch crotch strap and instead purchase a couple of 2-inch D-rings and metal tri glides, then go to a pick and pull and get some seatbelt webbing to use as a crotch strap .The seatbelt webbing is more supple and will be more comfortable.....it will also wear less on your suit between your legs.

-Z
Yeah, I tried this on one of my (many) plates and the problem is the seat belt webbing is so thin and supple it doesn't stay put in the metal hardware used to form the loop in front that goes around the waist belt (i.e. if you scooter, it will pull the ring right off the strap and the loop falls apart and off your waist belt). I would suggest, however, that the crotch strap is best made from thinner SCUBA webbing than the shoulders and waist, but not as thin as a seat belt.

If you need a lot of weight to sink for whatever reason (thick neoprene, drysuit, etc.), I think the DUI weight harness is nice. I finally spent the money on it -- much more comfortable than a weight belt, though it seems pricey for what it is. Of course, putting the weight pockets on the backplate harness itself is nice since you don't have the extra buckle and shoulder straps of the separate weight harness --- but if you think you are ever going to need your setup to float without you in it, do the math and make sure it will if all the weight is on the backplate harness.

For strictly single tank diving, sometimes I think a jacket BC with built in trim and weight pockets is not such a bad option. Of course, it does take a lot longer to dry off than a metal plate and a wing, and the backplate and wing are more adaptable over the longer term. If you really, really get into diving, you will probably wind up with a backplate eventually anyway.
If you really want a weight belt with straps over your shoulders, you can save a lot of $$ by just using a regular weight belt (4' webbing + $5 buckle) and a $5-10 pair of regular clip on suspenders (like old fat guys use on their pants).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom