Newbie diver here - what do the options mean on the DGX BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally, what Eric said. Note that some stuff will also come down to your preferences.

You can do STA or no STA. I prefer no STA because I dont need the extra non-ditchable weight (and bc the DGX wing has tank stabilizers built in).

You can decide if you want to use a weight belt for your ditchable weight, or, if you prefer, you can put some ditchable weight pockets on the waist strap.

Wth a steel tank you may not have to worry about trim weights, but I have some non-releasable weight pockets on my upper tank strap to put 4 lbs total when I use an aluminum tank (as lowwall discusses). In your diving to date, have you found the need for such trim pockets? If so, you may want to consider them.

Finally, I prefer a chest strap to keep the shoulder straps from slipping off. Many folks consider them completely unnecessary (in fact, I dont think this is even an option, you would buy it seperately). I also added a utility storage pocket on the waist strap, just bc I prefer that storage to D-rings.

Edit to add - I just looked at the DGX website - Jeez, some of those option have gotten expensive - $38 for 2 trim pockets? I think they were like $8 each when I bought about 3 years ago. You could probably get cheaper stuff elsewhere, although it may not be worth it given shipping, etc.

Definitely get the 2" crotch strap. I went with the 1.5", figuring it might be a bit more comfortable. While it may (or may not) be, having a strap that's a different size than the rest of the webbing is kind of a pain - the sliders you use everywhere else won't be the right size for the crotch strap if, for example, you want to add a butt D-ring for a DSMB.

MAKO has very nice rubber weight belts. AND:

In many situations a belt is recoverable, however if your MAKO Spearguns belt and lead weights or belt reel are ditched (and lost) in a diving emergency…. I will replace it free of charge.

Can't beat that.

Freedive Weight Belt (Rubber)

male, 5'10'', and 145#
And they had you in 26 pounds of lead? Even in a 7mm that looks crazy.

For a weight belt. I've only used the standard webbing ones which are OK but require tightening once I've descended. People who use them seem to really like the rubber belts like this from Mako: Freedive Weight Belt (Rubber)

Edit to add - I just looked at the DGX website - Jeez, some of those option have gotten expensive - $38 for 2 trim pockets? I think they were like $8 each when I bought about 3 years ago. You could probably get cheaper stuff elsewhere, although it may not be worth it given shipping, etc.
I use these. $12 each now.

I use these. $12 each now.

Ok great, I've seen these mentioned in a few other threads, so I think I'll get two of these pockets, a weight belt, and none of the pocket options from the DGX BP/W.

@wetb4igetinthewater Thanks, that's really generous. I'm hopeful I can muddle through it on my own, or I can bother someone at my LDS, but if not I'll shoot you a DM.
The instructions you get from DGX are pretty good and it's not that hard. Depending on who is your LDS they may not want to help much since you didn't buy it from them or they don't know much about a B/P.

Back
Top Bottom