Question Aluminum or Steel Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my SS plate. I use 3 lbs in a 3mm (1lb in each pocket, and 1 lb on the upper tank band) for perfect trim. Even in quite warm waters I will still use a 3mm wetsuit. If I were to dive with just a rash guard, I'm totally fine being "overweighted" by a pound or two. The SS backplate also transitions nicely to our drysuit diving. I like to spend my money on regulators vs. backplates.

With four dives in, I’m ready to give some initial impressions.

I like it very much. More than a jacket bcd. It’s fun. I love how you can customize everything. It’s comfortable.

Aluminum was the right call. I already dove it with no additional weight, 2lb, and 4lb.

4lb was too much. No weights was okay. 2lb was best. I’m using weight pockets in one camband.

I know I should be able to dive it with no weights at all, but that will require a bit more skill.

The dm that leads my dives has the same bp, but a much smaller wing. 18lb I think. And he dives without any additional weight. Makes me think that if I ever use a smaller wing, I could ditch the weights.

Another learning was that I need to attach the upper camband at the right height. I placed it too low on my first dive and kept hitting my head. On my second dive it placed the upper camband right where the tank curve ends. That was much better.

That said, anothernissue I have is that the backplate always ends up a bit diagonal. Not too much. And I can’t feel any effect in the boat or underwater. But it messes with my ocd. I want it perfectly aligned. This is another thing I hope to get better at with practice.

Finally, another issue I’ve had is with the crotch strap. I got the 1.5 inch strap with the plastic buckle. I gotta say I’m not a fan. First of all, it only comes with a d-ring on the front and no d ring in the back. Also the slide that it includes for the back is nonserrated. It already untied while in the boat. I added a dring for it but im scared it’ll tie off while underwater.

Also, the crotch strap gets between the buttocks. I think it was because it was too tight. Loosening it a bit did the trick. So I think it’s a matter of learning how to adjust it.

I’m considering getting a 2 inch webbing crotch strap in the future. I’ll keep diving it for a bit more before making the final call here.

Other than that, it’s a great piece of equipment for a great price. I would recommend it to other people.

Thanks everyone for your responses and guidance. Aluminum was the right choice for me. I’m happy I got it.

With four dives in, I’m ready to give some initial impressions.

I like it very much. More than a jacket bcd. It’s fun. I love how you can customize everything. It’s comfortable.

Aluminum was the right call. I already dove it with no additional weight, 2lb, and 4lb.

4lb was too much. No weights was okay. 2lb was best. I’m using weight pockets in one camband.

I know I should be able to dive it with no weights at all, but that will require a bit more skill.

The dm that leads my dives has the same bp, but a much smaller wing. 18lb I think. And he dives without any additional weight. Makes me think that if I ever use a smaller wing, I could ditch the weights.

Wing size won’t effect how much weight you need

Another learning was that I need to attach the upper camband at the right height. I placed it too low on my first dive and kept hitting my head. On my second dive it placed the upper camband right where the tank curve ends. That was much better.

That said, anothernissue I have is that the backplate always ends up a bit diagonal. Not too much. And I can’t feel any effect in the boat or underwater. But it messes with my ocd. I want it perfectly aligned. This is another thing I hope to get better at with practice.

Crotch strap and waist band is to loose.

Finally, another issue I’ve had is with the crotch strap. I got the 1.5 inch strap with the plastic buckle. I gotta say I’m not a fan. First of all, it only comes with a d-ring on the front and no d ring in the back. Also the slide that it includes for the back is nonserrated. It already untied while in the boat. I added a dring for it but im scared it’ll tie off while underwater.

Also, the crotch strap gets between the buttocks. I think it was because it was too tight. Loosening it a bit did the trick. So I think it’s a matter of learning how to adjust it.

I’m considering getting a 2 inch webbing crotch strap in the future. I’ll keep diving it for a bit more before making the final call here.

Other than that, it’s a great piece of equipment for a great price. I would recommend it to other people.

Thanks everyone for your responses and guidance. Aluminum was the right choice for me. I’m happy I got it.

The thinner crotch straps are a no go imho. The 2” ones are much better

The thinner crotch straps are a no go imho. The 2” ones are much better
Would love to hear why your think so.

They give you a wedgie, it’s uncomfortable when they’re tightened enough to keep the back plate where it should be, and it really sucks when you’re scootering
The wedgie is the worst.

Thanks for explaining!

SS BP+STA with 5 mil wetsuit, AL80, Deep 6 Eddy fins, and I trim out nicely with no additional weight. This is my warm water configuration.

Here in Greece right now, Ti (AL would work) BP+STA with 5 mil wetsuit, 2 mil vest, steel 15L cylinder, Deep 6 Eddy fins, and I trim out nicely with no additional weight This is my Mediterranean configuration.

So, 5 mil wetsuit, the BP and cylinder need to be opposite materials.

Seatbelt webbing or similar is great for the crotch strap. For scootering have the crotch strap loose enough that most of the strain is taken up by the waistbelt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom